Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seriouslywork Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2006, 08:37 AM
    Systems
    Okay, I have a huge algebra projcet due... and it is on Systems.. I have no idea what to do.. :confused:

Here's what I have came up with for a question
    John Allen averages 16 points per game, his season consists of 8 weeks, 3 gfames per week Johns cousin Steve averages 12 points a game,his season consists of 8 weeks he has 4 games per week. John gets hurt and has to sit out for a week. By the end of 8 weeks who will have more points. If the season was longer, when would both John and Steve have the same amount of points?

Please help me.. :(
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2006, 05:11 PM
    John's total points: 16(7)(3) = 336 pts. For season
    Steve's total points: 12(8)(4) = 384 pts. For season

let x = # of additional weeks

Then, 336 + (16)(3)x = 384 + (12)(4)x
    336 + 48x = 384 + 48x
    -336 -48x -336 - 48x
    0 = 48

As you can see, this equation is a contradiction and therefore has no solution. John and Steve will never have the same number of points. According to your scenario, both John and Steve average 48 points per week ; John (16 pts/game)(3 games/wk.) and Steve (12 pts./game)(4 games/wk.). Since John had to sit out a week, that put him behind by 48 points and he will continue to lag behind those 48 points no matter how long the season lasts if everything remains unchanged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 operating systems [ 3 Answers ]

I have windows 2000, then I installed xp and now have both os when I start up.How do I uninstall 2000? I've read some posts and am not clear on what u mean by formatting. I'm not very experience and need help. Thank you .

2 operating systems [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I installed XP pro rather than upgrading home. Now I have 2 OS on my PC. Obviously I'd like to simply be running pro and not home. I'd like to get all my settings from home to pro and get rid of home. Can I do this, or should I just uninstall pro and try and upgrade again. Thanks,...

Two Operating Systems? I Need To Get Rid Of One Of Them [ 8 Answers ]

I currently have Windows XP Pro. I had to reinstall XP because of a big problem I had. Well instead of upgrading which I should have done, I reinstalled it as a new install. When I boot up my computer, it asks me which operating system I want to run. I know I have to go into the boot ini. File but...

Computer systems [ 3 Answers ]

What is the difference between a computer system and a business information system

View more questions Search