Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lissy478 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 11:49 AM
    a/c question?
    Hi, Once my a/c reaches temperature setting after a few hours it starts making a shhhh sound and the coils get really cold almost like it wants to freeze, and never comes on. It cylces about every 10mins normally. Could this be a problem with the thermostat? I had the freon cheked last summer, and the outside compressor is only 2 years old. I am asking because I replaced the thermostat myself 2 yrs ago, and that seems to be when the problems with the handler started. The filter is clean, and I also cleaned the drains.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2006, 11:56 AM
    I don't think you've got a t-stat problem... I'd lean toward a problem with the coils... and unfortunately most A/C problem solving is not a job for a diy'er.

For stuff like this, I like to get a "free estimate" from a local HVAC repair co. then based on the diagnosis, decide from there if I am able to tackle it myself.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
    Hi,
    You replaced the thermostat yourself 2 yrs ago, and that was when the problems started?
    It would seem to be the thermostat installation then.; or, could possibly be something else, that just happened to start at the same time.
    I would call a reputable air conditioning person, have them give me an estimate, and let them take care of it.
    In my local area, it's around $70 for just the trip.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a question regarding skin. Question is on skin... [ 1 Answers ]

whenever I get hit or scratched, or bitten to hard, that area of my skin where is occurred gets red and then I get a white raised bump ( of skin) in the senter or along the redness. It goes away in minutes but still highly unattractive. What can I do to prevent this?? Sum 1 email me help....

View more questions Search