Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJMartin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2006, 08:13 PM
    HoneyWell Thermostat Miracle
    I live in a home that was built back in the 1960s. I am thinking this furnace is probably the original (LOL)

My wife and I decided to re-texture and repaint the walls in our living room just two weekends ago. After painting the walls white, that gold colored thermostat stood out like a soar thumb. We replaced it with the round digital HoneyWell thermostat. Our furnace is a gas heat and electric AC simple unit but one thing I find odd after reading some or the posts in this forum. Coming out of the wall to my thermostat I found five wires all right, but they were colored W, Y, R, G and G. That's right, I don't have any blue wires but I have two green (ground) wires from the wall and now what to do.

Well, we first read the directions to a heat only thermostat that advised if there were any "leftover" wires coming out from the wall, just stuff them back into the wall, they are not needed. Well, of course we took that one back to the store and bought the AC @ heat combo round HoneyWell digital thermostat. When I mounted it, I connected the W, Y, R, and one of the Green wires to corresponding wire connecting screws on the thermostat. Well, the heater worked great but the AC outside unit would run until it froze up my line.

Now, to the miracle part, today, I took some time to re-think the wire connections I had done. This time I pulled the extra Green wire that I had stuffed back into the wall back out and ran it to the same wire screw labeled
    "G". That's odd but correct, I have to wires running the same screw but the wires are the same color so I didn't know where else to put it LOL

Wow, now my AC outside unit (after 5 minutes delay) kicked on and runs great and low and behold my blower motor kicks on like clock work and this old house is back up and running like it should.

Happy Home Owner,
    DJ
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2006, 10:32 PM
    Adn you did that without any advice from the Ask for help site... hahahah well even the blind squirrel finds a acron every once in a while...

Good thinking and good luck in the future
    DJMartin Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by letmetellu
    Adn you did that without any advice from the Ask for help site......hahahah well even the blind squirrel finds a acron every once in a while........

Good thinking and good luck in the future

That AC has been my never dying nightmare. I am just so relieved to be going into the Summer month with it not boggling my mind anymore. I have had heat and air guys out here numerous times and they never once mentioned that that could have been linked to why my blower kept kicking on and the quickly off. The cycle was never right. UNTIL NOW. Thank God for his mercy on us blind squirrels : )

Thanks for your comments you took time to make about my post!

Respectfully,
    DJ

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell thermostat [ 11 Answers ]

I installed a Honeywell CT87A 4447 thermostat this summer. It worked fine with my air conditioning, but I am having a problem with it controlling my furnace. It will turn the furnace on and I can turn the fan on manually, but when set to auto the fan does not come on. The thermostat has the...

Please Help w/Replacing Honeywell Thermostat... [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I've just removed my Honeywell Thermostat and am trying to replace it with a Noma programmable tstat... but am having problems with the wiring. There are 5 wires coming out of the wall - Green, Black, Orange, Red and White, and only 4 posts on the Noma tstat (Green, Red, Yellow and White). ...

Honeywell rth 230B thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

Need part no. and location of dealer for replacement filters, as my filter light is on. Also need instructions on replacing.

Honeywell thermostat only blowing hot air [ 1 Answers ]

I installed the Honeywell RTH230B in the fall and just switched to air except it only blows out hot air. I have a five wire set up but don't know where to put the extra blue wire. It is not displayed in the setup. Actually I just noticed there are for additional wires, blue, black, brown and...

Set RTH230B Honeywell thermostat [ 0 Answers ]

I recently bought a Honeywell RTH230B 5-2 programmable thermostat. Having trouble setting it-- Could someone who knows this stuff tell me simple to understand --How to set this thermostat? It keeps going above the temp I have it set on by as much as 4 degrees.

View more questions Search