Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xgravity23 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2008, 02:07 AM
    Using fuction "Mode" within a Pivot Table? Or calculating the mode with conditional?
    I want to know which number appears most frequently within a table by instructor code. For example, I want to produce a report that searches column A for an instructor code (for example, any instructor code "ba*") and then finds the mode of the corresponding cell in column B. I know I could manually set up Excel to figure it, but I am just positive there is an automatic way to do it.

Let me try to rephrase it one more time for clarity's sake: Display the mode of each class by instructor.

NOTES ABOUT THE FILE I HAVE UPLOADED:
    • I'm using Excel 2007.
    • If you look at the file I have attached, I attempted to do this in by taking the data from worksheet "data" and putting it into a table in worksheet "overview." When I couldn't get that to work, I started using Pivot Tables in worksheet "data" and managed to get all the functions I wanted (average, max, and min) except for mode.
    • There are still many exams to be graded, so at the current time, not every class has data.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: xls glc_final_data.xls (35.5 KB, 395 views)
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 24, 2008, 06:38 AM
    The mode is a straight function against the data:

=MODE(V1:V20)
    (just adjust the range properly, Excel 2003 doesn't automatically account for blank cells. I think the advanced function xlpMODE on 2007 does.)

If you want to use more advanced Excel 2007 versions, have a read through this page see if it gives you what you're looking for:

xlpMODE

Jun 26, 2008, 03:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    (just adjust the range properly)
    I'll try the advanced version you provided the link for, but I know how to use Mode normally. I was asking for help with calculating the mode if a corresponding cell meets a specified criteria. I am actually trying to avoid having to manually adjust the range.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jun 26, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Yeah, avoiding the range adjustments would be the ticket, huh? I see what you mean.

This isn't something that would/could be designed to reference static ranges? It's varying too much to be simple to formulize?

Jun 26, 2008, 01:39 PM
    You know, once that all the test scores have been entered, it shouldn't be a problem to sort by instructor name, name those ranges, and just have it calculate Average, Min, Max, Mode, and Count by those named ranges. I was trying to make it too complicated. :P

Thanks for the help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toshiba Satellite L30 - how to adjust "standby" mode? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have been trying to adjust my laptop's stand-by times, as it is preset to 30 minutes. I would need at least 2 hours. This is because of my MSN messenger and Yahoo Messenger that will get offline as the laptop enters stand-by mode. And sometimes there's some files being transferred and...

Excel - frequency / mode / pivot table. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm struggling to achieve my end goal in Excel; I have a list of dates (presently the list of dates is divided into individual worksheets with 20 rows and 5 columns of dates per worksheet. I have 30-40 worksheets). My objective is to obtain a list of the dates that match...

Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 3 Answers ]

Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode. Everything works fine in "ON" position. Have replaced the main power switch and the Thermostat... but its still not working. It is a gas heater/ What do I need to check next?? Thanks for any assistance. BoneDaddy2004

Programmable Thermostat Not Working in "AUTO" mode [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me here. I have a Honeywell programmable thermostat that was installed by a professional about a year ago. About 3 days ago, the thermostat stopped maintaining a temperature and began dropping. The thermostat is showing HEAT on the display, however, no heat...

View more questions Search