Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    capboomer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Furnace flames come on when set to Cool.
    I have a Honeywell RTH230B thermostat connected to my 4-wire system. I replaced my old Honeywell Mercury thermostat last fall.

I just checked my wiring, and I have Green to 'G', Red to "Rh" (jumper is present), White to 'W', and Yellow to 'Y'.

I used the furnace all winter without any issues, but now that it is time to use the A/C, I am having the following issue:

When set to Cool, the furnace comes on (flames are burning), and blows hot air.

:mad:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 05:21 PM
    Your color code is correct. The wiring must be wrong at the furnace or you have a defective thermostat. Note try removing the white wire and see what it does..
    capboomer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 21, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Your color code is correct. The wiring must be wrong at the furnace or you have a defective thermostat. Note try removing the white wire and see what it does..
    Thanks... everything works great! Although, I was hoping I didn't have to Jerry-rig it.

Any thoughts on what I'm looking for as far as bad wiring in the furnace?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 21, 2008, 10:41 PM
    My thoughts are as follows. The low voltage wiring color code is not to standards. You are going to have to track down each conductor and see where they go. Then change the problem with two of the wires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Furnace Won't Heat OR Cool [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning, We live in Fayetteville, NC and it's starting to get cold. General Electric Gas Pack model number BLD055E936B1 manufactured in the early eighties has decided to quit. It is a forced air model with a standing pilot. Pilot works great... but the main burners won't light. This has...

Furnace blowing cool air [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Bryant gas furnace. About 2 days ago it was working fine. Yesterday I noticed it was very cool in my house. I checked the vents and they were blowing cool air. The fan stays on continuously. The pilot is lit and the filter is new. What are some possible causes and solutions to this...

Goodmans furnace flames keep going out [ 1 Answers ]

When I start my furnace the burners stay on for 5 to 10 seconds then go out.I check the flame sensor its OK ?

Goodman furnace flames out when cold [ 8 Answers ]

Goodman GMPO75-3 ser9911605881 . When warmed up runs OK . Cold the DI fan runs then HSI glows,gas valve opens and it lights with woof woof and goes out in 5 secs . Cycles again and it might start or go on third try. I polished the fire rod, set GV to 3.5 ins then changed GV. 24 volts at the GV...

NG furnace flames out each restart [ 1 Answers ]

100K BTU ng,Honeywell 1982 furnace. New filters, good intake(I think). Has worked fine until last 2.5 weeks. Pilot light is fine, main gas ignites and will stay lit for about 20 seconds. The honeywell hi/lo limit switch clock turns to main fan, sometimes it will reach the fan on temp, but...

View more questions Search