Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashton97 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Compressor and inside unit won't turn on together
    Hello,

We had a new gas heating/ac unit installed this winter and a new compressor last year. When heater was installed the HVAC guys did the wiring on the thermostat.
    We went to turn on our AC and can only get the inside unit working and no outside compressor, or the outside compressor, but no inside unit, depending on what setting we use on the digital honeywell thermostat.

The compressor and the inside fan will not come on together. The wiring is as follows on the thermostat.

Green is in g
    White is in w
    Blue is in y
    Red is in r

The yellow wire is not connected. We did not do the wiring on the thermostat. It was done by an HVAC technician, but we did not test the AC this winter when they were here.

Not sure what to do, but it is 87 in my house right now and we are in the middle of a heat wave.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 10:40 AM
    Check all fuses first.
    Sounds like a low voltage wiring problem. Usually yellow lands on the Y at the thermostat. Your unit could be wired incorrectly but you need to trace the wiring to find out where the black wire goes. The black wire is usually not used in your set up.

If you paid for the HVAC guys services I would give them a call to see if they can shed some light on your problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ac condenser unit compressor won't turn on [ 3 Answers ]

I've got a problem I need help with. I just installed a condensing unit outside for my air. It was empty when I got it. No refridgerant. When I start the unit the fan and all comes on but the compressor does not. This is a duroguard 2.5 ton unit. I have tried to boost it and still no luck. The unit...

Compressor Line Icey & Not Cooling Inside [ 5 Answers ]

I need some guidance on what to do regarding our Carrier A/C system. The fan motor works fine, the compressor turns-on, but I noticed yesterday that the copper lines where the gauges get installed were icey. The system is not blowing cold air to bring down the temperature in the room, even when set...

Outside unit turns on. Rotates, inside unit turns on. Does not blow / suck. [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, we had a storm today, and I got home from work to find the house at a hot 75 degrees... the outside unit wouldn't turn on or work or anything... So, I went out and turned off ALL of the breakers, and then turned ALL of them back on... OK, the outside unit spins now... Then I went into...

Outside unit doesn't come on when thermostat turns inside unit on so no heat? [ 1 Answers ]

My thermostat will trip my heater to turn on. The inside blower turns on but the outside unit doesn't turn on. I can get it to go by turnign off the unit at the thermostat and waiting a minute. I turn it on and off until I hear the outside unit turn on. The problem is when the Thermostat turns if...

Ac compressor won't turn on [ 1 Answers ]

I went on vacation for a week, and turned the central air off while I was away. I got back into town Friday around 2 and it was 95 degrees out. Turned to air on, and about half hour later realized it wasn't getting any cooler. The compressor outside won't turn on. No one will service me until...

View more questions Search