Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pvpdcad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Hot Water Circulation Pump failure
    Hi,

We have a Grundfos hot water circulation pump installed. All was fine and dandy until last week when we had a water outage for several hours. Now the pump is making terrible noises and I disconnected it.. Questions:

1. Is there a way to repair it or do I need to get a new one?
    2. I saw the same pump for sale for about $200. Is this something that a non-pro (me) could install by himself or should I call a plumber?

Thanks much..
    Credendovidis Posts: 1,593, Reputation: 66
    -

Apr 11, 2008, 02:34 AM
    First of all : as there was a period during which there was a water outage, air may have entered the system. Have you already "bled" the system to allow air to escape? As the system is under pressure, any air in it will cause lot's of noise.
    (Open these small air escape valves till water comes out, and repeat that on all other valves. Repeat that process several times over a couple of days till the noise stops)
    It is also possible that the pump became overheated by use during the water outage, and has to be replaced.
    See this website for questions on which pump and how to install/replace it
    Success!
    As always : if you require more info, please let me know. If this solves your problem, please rate the answer provided! Feed back is always appreciated!
    ;)
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 02:48 AM
    Grundfos depends upon the circulating water to act as a lubricant for the pump. If the water stopped flowing your pump is more likely damaged. Most Grundfos pumps offer a kit to repair BUT success with these kits is never perfect. I suggest buying new and follow the directions for hook up.
    pvpdcad Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Credendovidis:

Thank you for the reply.. Sorry for the ignorance but where exactly do I find those "small air escape valves" you referred to? The pump I have is a Grundfos UP 15-18 SU.. I looked all around it and couldn't find anything that looked like it wanted to be opened...

Thanks much,
    pvpdcad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pump compressor failure ? [ 1 Answers ]

Our heat pump started making a funny sound, like it wanted to start but would stall out. The fan was workingg though, the unit was not cov'd in ice, the pipes outside were cool to touch,the aux heat was already on, which is normal , as it has been very cold here, the heat was keeping up to what...

Purex Triton Whisperflo pump failure [ 2 Answers ]

For my in-ground pool I have a 7-year old Purex Triton Whisperflo pump with a 1.5 HP Magnatek Centuriom motor. Just after heavy rain with the pool flooded the motor now keeps shutting itself off every few minutes, sounds weak and smells burnt. I assume it is the end of the motor? A local service...

New Marathon Water Heater and Desuperheater + circulation? [ 6 Answers ]

I’m in the process of installing a new Marathon water heater, model 8545, which will be coupled to the desuperheater of my geothermal system. The propane water heater that this new unit is replacing has a return line from the far end of the house from one of the bathrooms. This return line allows...

Hot water re- circulation not working [ 6 Answers ]

I had a loop added from the end of my hot water plumbing to the drain valve on my water heater many years ago. The system has worked great and I found I didn't need to use the pump to get the hot water to flow as gravity did the trick. I just had a new hot water heater installed and now the...

Ge dishwasher - water pump failure? [ 2 Answers ]

@ 2000 GE potscrubber It will fill with water, and drain, but it hums like an electrical motor is stuck, and no water pressure is making it to the rotator bar. Is there a pressure pump that may have failed? It appears to do everything, but spray water. Any ideas welcome. TIA Alex

View more questions Search