Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BurkeinDC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 10:18 AM
    Adheering brick veneer to interior painted masonry wall
    I live in 1937 era Washington DC Rowhouse and I've been considering installing the bring veneer on my longest interior wall. The wall in question is masonry(painted). I have seen the instructions for a few of the brick veneer companies and they mention using a lathing system or using mortar in the same manner as tile adhesive to adhere the brick veneer, On one of the home improvement channels, construction adhesive was used to adhere the brick. What are your thoughts? I really like the look of the exposed brick and considered doing it myself but if I have to use one the more difficult methods, I may have to hire a pro. Considering the cost of the brick veneer without installation it could add up. Thank You.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Mar 4, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Any of those methods can be used with a thin brick which would be less expensive and much easier to install. Check out this website, might not be available in your area but it will give you an idea, take a look at the installation instructions.

Old Brick Originals Thinbrick™ By Robinson Brick Company
    brickfool Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2008, 01:15 PM
    The best way to go would be to lathe the wall, plaster that, and then install thin brick on that. You could use adhesive, and it would be easier and a lot less expensive, but don't forget that the product will only be as strong as what it is adhered to. Meaning that if the painted surface would ever fail so would your veneered wall.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2008, 02:33 PM
    You biggest issue is that masonary does not like to stick to paint. A wire mesh lath nailed to the brick should do it. I did that when I installed a faux rock fireplace. Open this thread and then click on thin brick. Welcome to Coronado Online!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Painted block wall blistering [ 3 Answers ]

A few years ago I had a stuccoed block wall built, after a couple of months I painted the wall with an exterior grade latex paint,the wall paint showed lots of small cracks after a couple of months. So then I repainted with a rubberized paint and now the paint is blistering wherever my neighbours...

Refinishing a brick wall [ 3 Answers ]

I have pulled the lathe and plaster off the brick wall and want to clean and finish the brick. Any suggestions for the easiest cleaning and what to coat it with?

NY state clean carpet/painted wall law [ 1 Answers ]

NY State: Is there a "law" that states that a landlord must paint the walls and clean/change the carpets before a new tenant moves in. I do not want to know if it is a courtesy. I want to know if there is a specific law. I have never moved into an apartment where the walls were not painted and...

Removal of plaster from interior brick walls [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone had success removing plaster from interior brick walls to expose the brick beneath? Would like to have the brick as the finished surface when removal is complete. It looks like a major portion of the plaster can be removed with a flat shovel. Are chemicals needed to remove the rest, or...

Interior Brick fire place 100 yrs old [ 1 Answers ]

How do I remove 3 layers of paint fom my massive brick fireplace (8 ft. X 10 ft.)? I'd like to go back to the original brick.

View more questions Search