Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vikanglo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Questions about ITIN and Tax Return
    Hi There,

I have few questions related to the tax return filing.

1. I got married in the month of December 2007 and brought my wife with me who is on H-4 visa and until Jaunuary my marrriage status was single in the payroll. Can I file the tax return jointly with my wife and apply ITIN for her?

2. Can I file my tax return for previous year(2007) as Married? I am not sure if someone is married then his/her W-2 shows the marital status at all.

3. My employer is in CA and I am residing in AZ so my question is which state tax return should I file?

Thanks in advance
    Vikas
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 08:40 PM
    If you are married even on Dec 31 2007, then you are married for 2007 tax return. If you are filing resident tax return, they you can file only as Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing separately. You will attach W7 (Application for ITIN) with your tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Applied for ITIN along with Fed tax return about 8 weeks ago [ 10 Answers ]

Hi: Applied for ITIN(for my wife) along my with Fed tax return about 8 weeks ago, I haven't received ITIN and Fed refund. I called IRS and they are asking me to wait for another week and resubmit the application. This time If I want to apply in person , can I go to local IRS office and...

Dual state tax return questions [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble filling out my taxes this year because of a job change which required a move to another state. I had been a Georgia resident for a few years until June 2006 in which I moved to South Carolina for the remainder of the year. Technically for 2006 I lived in Georgia for 6 months and...

How I can fill tax return wihtout my wife ITIN # and show her at my tax return [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a h1 visa holder living New York and my wife joined with me she has h4 visa When I fill this year tax return I want to get benefit how I can get ITIN # for her Yes I know about W-7 form but it's very confision Give me some info please step by step Thanks

Tax return and ITIN number for my dependants [ 1 Answers ]

I came to US (Atlanta GA)on H1B visa with my Wife(IN H4) and Son ( in H4)on July 9th 2006. I do not have not ITIN number for my dependants so far. Can I claim my tax returns with Married with child status and submit for their ITIN along with the return.

View more questions Search