Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jebbard Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Jan 3, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Leaking furnace
    My furnace (boiler) has a small drip coming from the soldered downtube of the backflow preventer valve. It drips about one drop every couple of minutes. The main line runs through the backflow preventer valve. The heat in my home has been fine (baseboard water). Is this something that I should immediately address or is the bucket catching the dripping water adequate for now.

Thanks,

Jim B
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 3, 2006, 03:48 PM
    You should have an automatic water fill before the backflow preventor on the domestic line to the boiler. The boiler my have called for water and you may have sediment making the valve not seat properly. You could flush it by lifting the little lever on the fill valve to flush it out. Do it quickly, you don't want to overfill the boiler. May want to wait to also see what labman says.

Jan 3, 2006, 03:50 PM
    I know just what you mean. I will try it. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 04:57 PM
    If that doesn't work, post back with some more details. Is the water coming out an open end or a soldered joint? Does the system have an expansion tank?

Jan 3, 2006, 05:39 PM
    The manual filler valve didn't work... still dripping. The backflow preventer valve has an opening in the bottom to which a 24 inch 1/2 inch open pipe has been soldered. It is dripping out of the bottom of the pipe. I don't know why the backflow preventer would have an opening in it unless for some type of pressure relief if it became clogged or something. I probably should replace it. Is it as simple as turning off the water, draining the furnace, unscrewing the two bolts and bolting on a new one with some teflon tape? That looks to be the current set up. The system does have an expansion tank but I replaced it about 2 years ago. How important is the backflow preventer to a furnace?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:05 PM
    Furnaces and hot water tanks got along great for years and years without backflow preventers. Recently regulators have pushed for them to make sure water doesn't flow back into the city supply lines and contaminate things. Run cold water into a hot water heater or boiler, and don't leave anywhere for water to go as it heats and expands, and something is going to give. Took old Tom in plumbing and I a while to figure out these new fangled back flow preventers required an expansion tank. If the water beyond the backflow preventer is heated and doesn't have a place to expand to, it will come out the pressure relief. Is the make up valve which is closed most of time, between the leak and the expansion tank? That is the problem.

Jan 3, 2006, 06:12 PM
    The way my set up is starts with the main line going into the back flow preventer... next in line is the manual filler valve then the expansion tank.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 3, 2006, 09:14 PM
    The back flow preventor has that pipe if the boiler backflows, the water drains at the floor (saftey) instead of going back into the domestic system. That soldered pipe unscrews from the BFP. If you plan on changing the BFP, you should have a water shut off valve on the domestic line before the BFP and before & after the expansion tank. These are isolation valves so you don't have to drain the boiler to do repairs. The BFP's do just screw off for replacement. You shouldn't have to drain the boiler. The water fill will stop the water from "backflowing". If not, you'd have more than a drip.

Jan 4, 2006, 09:13 AM
    Thanks for the info.

Jebbard

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Something is leaking from my Furnace? [ 16 Answers ]

Came home and found pools of water in my basement, it surrounds my furnace and water heater.. It seems to me that it is coming from my furnace, could this be? I didn't know water could come from my furnace. How can I fix? I don't know too much about this type of thing, so if you could tell in...

Water leaking from bottom of furnace [ 4 Answers ]

Just noticed today that water is coming out of bottom of furnace. Not much but wondered if anyone knows what it could be. Its an older furnace, just regular kind. Water heater is about 1 foot behind the furnace. I've had the a/c running a lot because of hot weather. Could it have anything to...

Water leaking from humidifier into furnace [ 1 Answers ]

This morning I woke up and found water on floor in basement which seems to be coming from humidifier. Is my furnace ruined?:confused:

Gas furnace leaking water [ 3 Answers ]

Discovered water pooling out on to floor and dripping from within furnace--seemingly coming from furnace vent... there is quite a bit of rust that has formed which leads me to think its been going on for a while within the furnace but was not noticed till now after heavy rains, and the pooling...

Leaking [ 4 Answers ]

We had been hearing running water near our kitchen sink, and the water meter dial had been turning constantly. The water bill jumped from fifty to eighty dollars.We called in a plumber who said we have a leak. He put nitrogen and helium into the pipes,so he would be able to hear exactly were the...

View more questions Search