Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roncr35 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Furnace cycling
    I have a Trane gas furnace w/no standing pilot it's electronic. Anyway when the t-stat calls for heat it will fire up and the shut of within 5 secs. It will do this approx. 4 times before it will eventually lock itself out and the blower will continue to run not ever reaching setpoint. I know that a real dirty filter could cause this but is there a safety that could cause this because my filter is OK? ( If a safety is open wouldn't it not let it fire at all?)

Any help would be appreciated!
    therinnaiguy Posts: 153, Reputation: 5

Jan 2, 2008, 09:55 AM
    Remove the top access panel of the furnace. Cycle the furnace and watch through the inspection window at the burners. You should see an orange glow and ten the burners should ignite and the glow will turn blue. The flame should spread to all burners very quickly. If the flame takes more than 2 seconds, it will go out. If they are traveling fast but still going out, remove the burner cover and with a small brush, scrub the small probe found all the way to the left. This is your flame sensor. Prior to this, check the wire from the sensor down to the circuit board. I think it is a white wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace fan cycling switch [ 1 Answers ]

What are the settings about on my gas furnace fan cycling switch.

Furnace off and on cycling [ 1 Answers ]

We had an air bubble in the vacuum system, removed the clamp, blew in the tube, problem solved-thanks for everyone who looked!

Furnace cycling every 2-3min... puzzling! [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10-12year old 80000 BTU Rheem gas Furnace, and it is cycling every 2-3 min. The fan comes on, the igniter heats up and the gas goes on and burns, and then 2-3 min later it shuts off and 1-2 min after it start the same cycle over again. Now I have checked and cleaned the flame sensor...

Heil furnace short cycling of burner [ 1 Answers ]

My 1983 heil model NUGK075DG01, natural gas, forced air furnace is running but only heats the house to 67 degrees no matter how high I set the temp, the fan continuously runs (in auto on thermostat) and the burner will cycle for 3-4 min. then shut-off for 10 min.. I have powered down and back-on,...

Furnace cycling while heating [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Tempstar hvac (heatpump) with a gaspack. It is about 9 years old. I turned the heat on for 1st time this year to discover the problem. I took the cover off to see this happening: I turn the thermostat up and the pilot is one. After a minute of so, the gas turns on and the furnace lights....

View more questions Search