Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bungalobob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2005, 10:59 AM
    Oil burner Blower cycling on and off
    Just finished with a new second floor addition. Upgraded to two zone heating from single zone. When heat comes on after expected delay for temp to rise the blower comes on for fifteen seconds then kicks off and comes on again in about two or three minutes, and kicks off again in fifteen seconds, on and on the cycle goes. The contractor claims this is normal, he did do some checks on the system. I can't believe this to be normal, the system never operated this way before. To me, heat being generated is sitting in the chamber waiting to be blown out into the ducts. Energy is wasted with the blower motor kicking off and on, also sortening its life. The unit is running longer since the heat is not being pumped into the living spaces. Our building contractor is unsure what to do, I want to bring our Service contractor in if this can't be resolved, but I would like to know first if I am wrong or right, and what should I tell the contractor to look for or inspect. I believe that they as the installer should fix it. The control panel is a NCN-300, and the furnace is an oil fired Thermo Pride about ten years old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2005, 12:21 PM
    The on and off definitely is not normal, and is very hard on the blower motor. I guess the limit switch could be shutting off at too high of a temperature. It heats up, starts the blower, cools, shuts the blower off, and starts another heat cycle. If you have a setting for fan on, you could run a heat cycle with the fan on. If the fan runs continually, that suggests the limit switch is bad. If the fan still cycles on and off, look at its relay and the motor itself.
    slls Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2005, 05:19 PM
    What I would do is check to see what the fan control is doing. Remove the front furnace panel where the burner is located. In the upper right or left corner is the fan control, it has a silver cover that you remove by squeezing the sides and pull out. You will see a dial marked in 10 deg increments starting at 50 degs and up to 250. There are 3 adjustments tabs , #1 fan off setting, #2 fan on setting and #3 overheat shut off. #1 is normally set to 90 deg, #2 -110 deg, and #3- 190 deg. With the cover off watch the dial to see what the fan control is doing. Not sure about the 2 zone, I assume it’s control dampers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Well motor -Short Cycling [ 13 Answers ]

Old houses... great aren't they? I have a new dilema. Seems as though the well motor is beginning to short cycle during a shower or if the washer is running. I would suspect the pressure switch, however I do not know which side is the low side and which is the high side, nor do I know where to...

Fan Keeps Cycling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier central A/C and a Propane FAG furnace in my basement. The problem is that after the A/C or furnace has shut off, the fans continue to cycle off and on just as if the A/C or furnace was still running.:mad: Sometimes the fans (there is 2 of them, I believe) run continuously and...

Cd burner [ 3 Answers ]

all right I don't know if this is the right section but I just got a cd burner from a friend and I need to hook it up to my computer. Somehow?? Its just the little box where the cd goes.its a BURN- proof 16x10x40x. On the back it has all these little prongy thingys that say: digital audio,analog...

View more questions Search