Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BOWLER39 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2007, 11:32 AM
    Main burners on furnace do no ignite
    I have a bryant furnace, model 398. The main burners do not light after the pilot light ignites. I have cleaned the blower motor and everything else I can. Everything looks and sounds good, but the main burners are not getting any gas to them and lighting. Its getting cold in here and need some suggestions.
    macleaner Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BOWLER39
    I have a bryant furnace, model 398. The main burners do not light after the pilot light ignites. I have cleaned the blower motor and everything else I can. Everything looks and sounds good, but the main burners are not getting any gas to them and lighting. Its getting cold in here and need some suggestions.
    It has a pilot? Does it have an induced draft motor? Little motor towards the top of the unit. Is this coming on? Is the gas valve out of the pilot position and in the ON position.

Oct 23, 2007, 12:47 PM
    It has an electronic pilot whitch is working fine. The only motor inside is the blower motor. The gas valve is in the on position.
    macleaner Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 12:51 PM
    You stated the pilot ignites. Do you mean the pilot is on? If so when you go to the thermostat and put it up to 90 degrees nothing happen's? Does the fan itself work if you put the thermostat to fan on? Do you have A/C? Does that work if after all that my geuss would be the thermostat is bad. You can check this by jumping red and white out on the board of the furnace and it should fire up.

Oct 23, 2007, 01:50 PM
    The pilot is not on all of the time. It lights after the desired temperature the thermostat is set at. The blower motor kicks on, then a few seconds later, the ignitor clicks and the pilot light is lit. After that, nothing happens. Usually the main burners light after 15 seconds or so and the main motor kicks on. So since the burners are not lighting the main motor does not kick on.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2007, 07:16 PM
    Go to the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html

Scroll down to the sequence of operations of a gas furnace. I am not sure it covers the step of lighting the pilot your furnace has.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 08:14 PM
    I was just going to say where is Northenheat when you need him. Has not been around much lately and we miss his great advice. Thanks for the sticky.
    tcoho Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2013, 03:59 PM
    Sounds like we have the same problem. The ignighter lights the pilot and burner doesn't light. Did you ever get it solved... I was thinking of replacing the gas valve, according to everything I have learned that could be it all 24 volts is good to it, so thats why it could be it!
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Are you ever getting 24 volts AC when measured between MV/PV & MV on the gas valve?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main Burner Won't Ignite [ 3 Answers ]

I have a small furnace that heats my garage and two rooms above my garage. Turned this furnace on for the first time this year and all it does is blows out cold air. Pilot is lit but it seems like the main burner doesn't ignite. Any ideas? Thanks, Gerry

Main burners never ignite [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox G20 Series gas furnace - Igniter works, ignition flame is starts, but the main burners never ignite. Blower fan starts after appropriate period. What is wrong?

Burners ignite then shut of unexpectedly. [ 1 Answers ]

Age of equipment: 5 Years Brand (Manufacturer): RUUD Silhouette II Efficiency: 80% Natural gas, Induced-Draft Blower Furnace only inside unit What does it do? Not do? First thought it was the thermostat and replaced it but am still having intermittent igniting of the burners. If I turn...

Main burners on my carrier furnace not lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier natural gas furnace, model no. 58es080-30. The pilot light ignites, then you can hear a clicking noise, after about 15-20 seconds the blower fan starts up but the main burners are not lit. The furnace has acted like it's been having trouble igniting in the past few weeks, seems...

Burners won't ignite--no gas? [ 1 Answers ]

Lennox model GMP075-3. Installed in '95. I've tried resetting according to instructions on access cover panel (turn heat to 'off', turn off power to furnace, turn gas valve to 'off' for 5 minutes, etc.) When I call for heat, small (induction?) fan runs for a few seconds, the igniter unit glows...

View more questions Search