Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    2bit Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2007, 06:27 PM
    Furnace relay switch
    After duct cleaning my furnace (heat and air) does not work anymore. The thermostat indicates the system is on. Furnace light is on but the fan is not turning. There is that switch that you press when you open the door to the furnace. I guess is a relay swtich. On when door is closed and off when it is open. Anyway, when pressed manually the fan still does not work. Well sometimes it works and other it does not. Does that mean I have a bad relay switch? But when I took it to an electric shop for testing, I was told there is still continuity in the swithch which means it is still working? Does anyone have similar problem, or could it be that power duct cleaning has caused some wiring to fall loose?

Thanks
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 06:49 PM
    The switch your talking about is a power kill switch. If you remove the furnace blower door it turns power supply off going to the unit.(they do not go bad very often) How old is your furnace and what brand is it? Did you check to see if you had power coming in to the furnace. Try to give us more info if you can.

Oct 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Thanks for quick answer, yes that is the power kill switch then, it is a Carrier WeatherMaker 8000, about 7 years old. When I press it , the furnace light comes on but fan only work a few times and there was a clicking sound when I release the switch.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:27 PM
    If you keep power on the furnace the light should start blinking giving you a code to what is wrong.( one flash pause two flash = code 21) it should say on the door of the unit what is wrong from counting the flashing light.

Oct 19, 2007, 07:49 PM
    I put the panel back on and the power light is on but it is not blinking.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:57 PM
    Start a heating cycle. When something that should happen, blower start, doesn't happen, then you will get the code T-Top described. Post back.

Oct 19, 2007, 08:11 PM
    The thing is I cannot start a heating nor a cooling cycle. Turn the fan to auto or on, no fan action. Turn system to cool or heat, hold the temperature to very cold, air cycle did not start, hold temp to very warm, heating cycle did not start but the furnace light is on and steady, the thermostat said the system was on, but nothing was moving?
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:53 PM
    Nothing comes on at all when you make the call for heat? Not even the burners? I would check low voltage connections at the furnace, to start.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:55 PM
    When it calls for heat, you should have 24 volts Ac between the white and common terminals at the furnace. See the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...ons-58313.html
    For directions on sorting out furnace or thermostat questions.
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Remove the blower door again and make sure no low voltage wires(thermostat wires) are pulled away from the terminales. If you don't find any thing wrong get a wire and jumper from R to G on the control board with the door switch closed(use your thumb or tape to keep it closed while doing test) If the blower runs at this point you have a bad connection going to your thermostat,and it sounds like to me it would be the R circuit on the control board.

Oct 20, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Hi, I did two things this morning, disconnected the wire from the R terminal, jumpered the test terminal to the com24v terminal, pressed the door switch for 30 sec. The light continuously flashed and gave no code signals.

Second, I followed T-Top, jumpered from R to G and pressed the door switch, the blower started working. Then connected the R and G back to the thermostat wires again and the blower stopped working. So, does that mean a bad connection? If it is the R circuit on the control board, how do I fix it? Many thanks...

In addition, the thermostat is still telling me the system is on and everything is working but is actually not?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:39 PM
    You could have a faulty thermostat, Go to the thermostat and remove the front to expose the wires, place a jumper between the "R" and "G" terminals and the fan should come on, if so then replace the thermostat. Good luck, Mike
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    You could have a faulty thermostat, Go to the thermostat and remove the front to expose the wires, place a jumper between the "R" and "G" terminals and the fan should come on, if so then replace the thermostat. Good luck, Mike
    I agree 100% that's the next step to find out if the thermostat or thermostat wire is at fault.

Oct 21, 2007, 05:55 AM
    Hi Acetc and T-Top, thanks, I jumpered the R and G in thermostat, turned on the power and pressed the power kill switch, nothing happened, does that mean a lose wire from thermo to the furnace? How to go about it now?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck blower relay in furnace [ 1 Answers ]

How do I fix a stuck blower relay in my furnace or air handler?

Generator relay switch [ 4 Answers ]

My main breaker panel does not separate ground from neutral. When I connect a (generator) transfer switch panel to it, can I safely assume that I am virtually extending the main panel and thus just connect the tranfer switch's ground and neutral wires to the combined ground/neutral bar in the main...

Location of 98 Accord Main Relay Switch [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the main relay switch on a honda accord. 1998 v-8. We thouth it was the fuel pump, but not getting power now. Any suggestions?? :confused:

Light Switch w/ relay? [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to replace a bunch of old light switches in my house - with new ones. My current dilema - I pulled one off the wall that controls a ceiling light. There are 3 small wires going into the switch - It's a rocker style switch - you push one way for "On" the opposite way for "Off" and...

Faulty Relay in Furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Hi everyone. My Concord two zone oil fired forced hot air furnace decided to stop coming on the other day. It has a Honeywell EMM-3 zone controller, a relay and a transformer. I had my oil dealer come and look at it, it was working for him. After he left, it stopped again. I took matters into my...

View more questions Search