Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfeclan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Bathroom gasses smelling underneath house
    We have a single story ranch style home. There is a small crawl space underneath, but it is VERY tight - We seem to be having trouble with odor coming from the farthest bathroom towards the back of the house. When you go outside, the vent underneath the house which happens to be right below the bathroom, STINKS like poo. Some days it is worse than others. Every once in a while, we can smell the smell inside the bathrooms, but it is the worst coming from the outside grate vents. My husband took a flashlight and peeked through the vents but could not see any moisture leaking anywhere. Could it be the ceiling vent that the gasses are supposed to go through that is cracked/clogged? I have read about that in a few of these blogs, but do not have a clear idea how that works. Any ideas on what to check for? Thanks everyone.
    Also, we can see the vent on the roof - but - how do you check it for a clog?? Maybe a silly question, but we are very inexperienced!
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 08:56 AM
    You going to have to go in and look first hand. Look for breaks in the piping, water on ground, piping open, piping not completed. Look also at underneath of floor to see if water is leaking from above and you have a mold issue. If you have black mold you will be desperately wishing you wore a mask to prevent breathing in mold spores.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upflush Bathroom Stinking up my house [ 5 Answers ]

I recently purchased a house with a full upflush bathroom in the basement. It contains a shower, sink and toilet. Also, sharing a wall with the toilet and shower in the living area is a bar with a sink. All these run into the upflush tank which in turn pumps up and out to the septic tank. You...

Musky smelling house when heat/ac is on. [ 6 Answers ]

Last November when we moved into our house, we turned the heat on and noticed a really musky, basement like smell and also dirt. We thought it'd just wear off after a while since it was the first time turning it on but it still smelled. We also had a lot of nasal/sinus problems but we always have...

Bathroom Stinks new house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new house. Moved in 6 months ago. One of the bathrooms smells like a sewer. It's horrible! Some days A LOT worse than others. We don't even use this bathroom much. We do have a new septic tank.

Strange smell coming from underneath bathroom cabinet [ 7 Answers ]

After we remodeled our children's upstairs bathroom, it backs up to the attic, we had new insulation put in. This summer there is a terrible musty smell. I tried putting damp-rid products underneath cabinet to help the smell but the smell has intenisified! Help Also, the insulation in the garage...

View more questions Search