Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jean42 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 05:29 PM
    Air/Heating Unit (Electric) Suddenly stopped working
    Hello
    In July we replaced the motor and the relay switch on the unit outside the house. The unit had been running fine. Sept. 14 it was a little muggy in the house so I turned the thermostat down to 72 to kick the air on. Nothing happened all I heard was a "click" which would normally start the inside unit and the outside unit fan would start to spin, but this didn't happen. We checked all the breakers inside and outside house... still nothing. We took the cover off the unit on the inside of the house there is usually a green light on, on the furnace but the light is not on. It has already cost us a small fortune in July to have this fixed. The home is a 1996 modular (doublewide) cooling a 2200 sq ft area. I anxiously await your response. Please help. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2005, 07:09 PM
    The lack of the little green light suggest power is not getting to the unit. Are your breakers marked? Try to select the one for the furnace. Sometimes a breaker looks OK, but no power until you turn it clear to the off position and back on.

Still no green light? It may be powered off the transformer inside the furnace. Check it to make sure it is producing 24 volts. There could be a fuse on the control board too.

Sep 15, 2005, 04:49 AM
    We flipped all the breakers back in forth, still no luck. There is a metal box about a 4x6 on the front where the green light is housed and the wires are in the same area but where would the fuse be located?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2005, 05:48 AM
    There could be a fuse on a board inside the metal box.

Sep 15, 2005, 08:32 AM
    Thanks for all your help. We have someone coming to look at it this evening. I'll let you know what the problem was. This is a very useful site, I will bookmark it for the future! :)

Sep 16, 2005, 07:52 AM
    Again thanks for all your help and giving us a clue to the problem it was the transformer that went bad, the repair cost was $70.00 that is part plus the labor better then $$$$$$$$$ :p

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neptune Dryer Stopped Heating M/N MDG4000BWW [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Please Help! My girlfriends dryer stopped heating suddenly. It's a Maytag Neptune Model MDG4000BWW. There is no heat whatsoever. I am hoping there is something inherent with this model that I can start with. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

AC compressor/Fan suddenly not working [ 4 Answers ]

Our AC suddenly stops working. It's fan inside runs continuously, but the outdoor unit (compressor/fan) stops running. We tried switching on/off the circuit breaker, changing the air filter, yet nothing works. We were told that it can be some pressure buildup on the compressor, and there is...

AC/Heating unit will not come on [ 4 Answers ]

I attempted to replace an old York programmable thermostat with a Hunter thermostat. After installing the Hunter thermostat, my unit will now not come on. I checked the circuit breaker and it is on. What else do I need to check? Please tell me that I didn't blow my unit. Any help or suggestions...

Track lighting suddenly not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Hampton bay track lighting unit that has been installed and operating properly for 8 years. It gets it's electric freed from a nead-by ceiling fan. Earlier we switched the juice on and all 5 of the bulbs stopped working at once. The odd thing is the ceiling fan, which is in the same...

View more questions Search