Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lectricfixer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Condenser fan motor turned the wrong way after capacitor changeout
    I had a dual capacitor for the compressor and condenser fan fail. Since I could not find one on Sunday, I contacted an a/c repair to fix what I already knew was bad. They replaced the capacitor and noticed the condenser fan rotating in the wrong direction after the repair. Their fix was to turn the fan blade over. The wiring connections appear to be the same as before the capacitor was changed, What could cause this 1/6 hp fan motor to rotate in the opposite direction?

Also, since the repair, the condenser unit seems cool at the bottom but very hot at the top without much air flow from the top of the unit. I suspect the blade is not designed to be installed in this orientation. The only difference I can see other than the reversed blade is the replacement capacitor has a rating of 35 / 5 mfd rather than 40 / 8 mfd. Is this significant enough to make the diference that I am seeing? Any help would be appreciated.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 25, 2007, 02:01 PM
    You paid the repair people to fix your A/C unit. Did they change the wiring that went to the capacitor? Is the wiring reversed? Actually I would make them come back and fix it correctly. Motors do not run backward without a reason and a upside down fan blade will not work correctly due to the couping of the blade and forward swoop.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2007, 03:41 PM
    The wrong capacitor is not only detrimental to your compressor but is the probable cause for the motor running backwards. If you cannot find a dual capacitor with the correct rating, then you can replace it with two capacitors, a 40 and an 8 mf capacitor. The fan blade will not move the air properly reversed. Get a full refund, call some one else and have it fixed properly. Good luck, Mike
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectricfixer
    I had a dual capacitor for the compressor and condenser fan fail. Since I could not find one on Sunday, I contacted an a/c repair to fix what I already knew was bad. They replaced the capacitor and noticed the condenser fan rotating in the wrong direction after the repair. Their fix was to turn the fan blade over. The wiring connections appear to be the same as before the capacitor was changed, What could cause this 1/6 hp fan motor to rotate in the opposite direction?

Also, since the repair, the condenser unit seems cool at the bottom but very hot at the top without much air flow from the top of the unit. I suspect the blade is not designed to be installed in this orientation. The only difference I can see other than the reversed blade is the replacement capacitor has a rating of 35 / 5 mfd rather than 40 / 8 mfd. Is this significant enough to make the diference that I am seeing? Any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds like the technician reversed the fan motor common and capacitor leads where they connect to the capacitor. I would not recommend operating the system in this manner as further damage is likely.
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Switching the leads on the capacitor should reverse rotation... I think I would

Get the person who installed it to come back and correct the problem... He

Should have checked to make sure it was working correctly before he left the

Job... I would mention this when you call to get it fixed... They should not

Charge you to correct the problem -- their bad!!
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2007, 08:55 PM
    Turning the fan over? That can't change anything. Whoever suggested that is certainly not capable of repairing your HVAC
    bdolph Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2013, 03:34 PM
    You just swap u1 and u2 inside the motor connector box. To swap caps leads will not change anything
    KidChaos Posts: 45, Reputation: 3

Sep 29, 2013, 03:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KC13 View Post
    Sounds like the technician reversed the fan motor common and capacitor leads where they connect to the capacitor. I would not recommend operating the system in this manner as further damage is likely.
    Yes the run capacitor gets the Run and Start windings, power goes in the motor on Common and the Run winding, If you send power to Start rather than Run it will run backwards, this is how we break loose stuck compressors.
    Steve jacksonvi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2014, 04:55 PM
    Wired wrong, just repaired that today. READ THE SCHEMATIC probably T1 goes to the capacitor and the fan. Here is where your issue is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New condenser fan motor wiring [ 2 Answers ]

We just installed a new condenser fan motor (A.O. Smith OYK1028) and are feeling a bit lost with finishing up with the wiring. Both the old and the new motors (this is an OEM replacement) have three wires: purple, brown, and black. We did not remove the old motor, so we did not see how the wires...

Matching up the correct capacitor with the correct condenser fan motor? [ 4 Answers ]

How crucial is it to match the right capacitor to the right condenser fan motor? If you have the wrong capacitor, can this cause the motor to stop after running for a while, say 20 or 40 minutes? It would start up again, but would allways stop. The specs for the motor are: Emerson E-line, model no...

Condenser Fan Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched th web for a cross-match for a condenser fan motor for a RHEEM model RAKA-036JAS 3.0 Ton A/c Unit To no avail. R.S. R.Ph.

Condenser Unit Fan Motor [ 2 Answers ]

Can I replace a 5. Inch body motor with a 3. Inch body motor, as long as the electrical specs are the same? The shaft on the 3. Inch body motor is longer, of course. Thanks. Dave

Ceiling Fan - Motor Start Capacitor [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan whose motor fails to self-start. The fan has three speeds. All three speeds work fine if I hand spin the blades, starting at low speed of course. The fan has a remote unit. Once I hand start the fan the remote allows me to change speeds up and down and turn off the...

View more questions Search