Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LOS1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Wall Heater Problem
    My home is heated by an older model Empire wall heater. The heater did not start up last week and I could not figure out the problem so I called a repair man. He found a wire in the heater that had become disconnected and hooked it back up, after which he was able to start the heater by lighting the pilot and turning the gas to "On." However, the thermostat would not turn the heater off so he said I would need to replace the thermostat. I have installed a new thermostat (a simple 750 millivolt from Ace Hardware) but the heater does not repond to the thermostat. I can get the burner to light up by putting the gas to "On" but to turn it off I have to turn the gas down to "pilot" again. The heater burns even when I disconnect one of the two wires at the thermostat which makes me think there is another factor at work, maybe something else electrical between the thermostat and the heater. Any ideas? Thank you!
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:47 PM
    Gas valves can stick open, it's rare but I've seen it. Has this furnace ever been flooded by water?

Oct 23, 2006, 08:13 PM
    The heater has never been flooded. Is there a way to check out the idea that the gas valve may be stuck? Thanks for the reply.
    papa_jon_81 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 08:14 PM
    If you beat on the side of the gas valve with a hammer handle, or a screwdriver handle it may unstick a stuck valve.

Oct 23, 2006, 09:29 PM
    Thanks for the suggestion but beating on the gas valve had no effect. I wonder if there is some type of electrical problem. There are three wires leading to the gas valve, lined up vertically above one another. The top and bottom ones are wires coming from the thermostat. The middle wire leads to the thermocoupler and it connects with another wire to the thermocoupler which connects to the bottom wire from the thermostat. If I disconnect the thermostat wire on the top connection the burner is not affected and keeps running. If I loosen either the middle or lower wires the burner and pilot immediately turn off. Does that mean anything?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 03:28 AM
    Power flows from usually a red wire at the transformer to the thermostat which switches it to a white wire to the gas valve. To complete the circuit, the other side of the gas valve coil must be connected to the other side of the transformer. It sounds to me like the thermostat is constantly calling for heat through the one wire. It could be bad, or the wires to it could be shorted.

The 3 terminals must be 2 different firing rates plus a common back to the transformer.
    jbuenavides Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2011, 09:28 AM
    The wall heater is working fine but when it reaches the set temperature, the heater turns off so as with the pilot light. What could be the problem?
    jakef Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 08:57 PM
    Thermocouple

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GFCI for wall heater? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a wall heater in a small bathroom. The heater will be next to a pedestal sink and controlled by a wall switch. The heater will be on its own 12 gauge, 20 amp circuit. The question is, should I install a GFCI outlet in the line before the heater to give ground fault protection to...

240 Volt Wall Heater [ 7 Answers ]

I have hooked both wires to separate circuit breakers one white and one black and connected them to the black and red leads from the wall unit and the ground poles on the heater box but it does not work. If I disconnect the white wire from the circuit breaker and connect it to the white posts on...

240 volt wall heater [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a wall heater in a room. The heater has a ground wire and a black and red wire. How do you hook it up to 240 volts? Do I need to run four wires, three wires? I have a double breaker at 20 amps already in the circuit breaker panel but what do I need to hook up power. Does one of...

Problem with Carrier Central Heater [ 8 Answers ]

Central Heat will not come on unless I flip the breaker on and off in my garage. Then it will stay on until it reaches the temp set on thermostat. Then it shuts off and will not come back on, unless of course... I trip the breaker again.

Intermittent wall A/C problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have a stand-alone, wall-mounted A/C unit that exhausts to the outside and is hard-wired to a wall switch to turn the unit off and on. The unit is about 10-12 feet above the floor and the switch is about 6 feet above. Lately I have noticed that the room has gotten pretty warm, indicating that...

View more questions Search