Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Steve Mac Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jun 27, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Leak Under Tub
    The plumbing under our tub began leaking after the tub hadn't been used for some time. I cut into the ceiling from below and here's what I found. (but, bear with me, I don't know the proper names for all the plumbing pieces). Above the leaking joint is a t-connection that leads to the drain and the overflow drain. Below it is the trap. The connection is made by a section of pipe simply inserted into the t-connector. There is no screw down "cap" on the treads to make a compression join like there is on the other two connection points of the t-connector. It's possible it had a bead of solder around the connection, because the other end of the pipe is stuck in a flaired pipe that appears to be packed with solder.

Any ideas on how to fix it? Especially how to fix it without taking the pipes apart, because between the ceiling joists, tub body, supply lines, and kitchen cabinet below the hole that I am practically climbing into to get at the pipes, in will be real difficult to take this apart.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Steve
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2006, 10:27 PM
    There is some stuff called JB weld. I have used that is cases like the one you describe. You would need to clean the area with a wire brush and make sure it is all clean. Use lots of the JB weld and let it set before you use the tub.
    Steve Mac Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Jun 28, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Thanks for the help. I got the JB weld and hope to get to fixing the leak today. Won't know if it work until tomorrow since it needs to set up for at least 15 hours.

For anyone who's interested more info on JB Weld at:
    http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak some where ? [ 6 Answers ]

We have recently had our roof reshingled, we had a leak before that and thought this would take care of the problem but it didn't. When ever it rains really hard I hear dripping in side my wall. At one point it was coming through my celing fan and shorted it out. I was told to get new gabel vents...

How do I know if I have a gas leak? [ 5 Answers ]

We've lived in this apartment for a few months. It's a three bedroom ground level that is about 1250sq ft. In certain parts of the apt, there is sometimes a random but unpleasant stench that seemingly comes out of nowhere. It disappears, too. We were chalking this up to our neighbors' cooking...

Leak in tub [ 3 Answers ]

I have a question on a tub leak. Our upstairs tub leaks into our downstairs bathroom ceiling but only when someone is taking a bath. Not when taking a shower. What would this indicate as to where the leak is coming from? It seems that if it was the drain that it would leak with both shower and...

Leak [ 5 Answers ]

In our finished basement, there is a black pipe with a clean out valve. The valve does not seem to be leaking, and its not wet around the pipe above the tiles of the floor, but it seems to be oozing from under the tiles, (this is a basement floor, with concrete under the tiles) It doesn't happen...

View more questions Search