Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    usassyrian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 2, 2007, 11:14 AM
    House Heating & Air Conditioning
    Hi there:
    I have American Standard HEATING AND AIR , After set the temp, the heater is start running hot air, about 4-5 min is worm air, then become cold air and never stop, till manualy shot it off , keep blowing cold air , some one told me go and change the termostat controler but did not work, now what I'm: mad: ?
    Thanks ,Rich
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 2, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Your stat should have two fan settings. One setting is ato on and that lets the fan run only when heat is called for. The other setting runs the fan 24/7. 24/7 is actually not a bad thing. It is cost effective over the long hall and tends to make the temp in all rooms the same. When I move into a house I set the fan to run and it stays that way until I move out.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2007, 03:32 PM
    Furnaces have a high limit switch. If it trips, it will shut the gas off, and run the blower. It may trip because of inadequate air flow because of seriously dirty air filters or something, or because the switch is bad. If you seem to have good air flow, try replacing the switch. Remove it and take it to a HVAC or electrical supply and let them match it.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    Furnaces have a high limit switch. If it trips, it will shut the gas off, and run the blower. It may trip because of inadequate air flow because of seriously dirty air filters or something, or because the switch is bad. If you seem to have good air flow, try replacing the switch. Remove it and take it to a HVAC or electrical supply and let them match it.
    I agree with labman. Sounds like the main limit is opening but why, Lack of air flow or bad limit? Check return air filters. Evaporator coil may be dirty(cooling coil) restricting air flow or dirty blower wheel, both will make the main limit trip. Limits do go bad but over 90% of the time they are just doing their job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual-zone Heating/air Conditioning Problems [ 2 Answers ]

We have been having problems with our dual zone system, operated by two LUX 1500 thermostats. When both systems are on, the temperature in one of the zones (typically upstairs when heat is running, downstairs when airconditioning is running) will exceed the limit for that zone, but the system will...

Heating and Air-Conditioning run at the same time [ 1 Answers ]

We have lived here four years, so do not know the age of the unit. Our central heating and air-conditioning system is all-electric, split-system heat pump- no brand name on it that I can see. It is winter, and I just noticed today that the compressor outside is running at the same time the heat...

Heating & Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman furnace. The thermostat is telling the furnace to come on, but it does not. This happens at least twice a day. I have to turn it on by turning the furnace on and off. There is a blinking red light that flashes five times, which I do not know what that means. Please Help

Heat & Air Conditioning [ 1 Answers ]

I live in SW Missouri. We are currently experiencing an ice storm. When my power came back on after being off about 3 hrs. my heat pump is completely iced up causing the unit to shut down. Can I pour warm or hot water over the unit to remove the ice? I believe it simply is unable to get air...

Air conditioning and heating problem [ 7 Answers ]

My air conditioner keeps freezing up and usually all it needs is more freon. Now my heating won't shut off the thermostat seems to be stuck on 75* even though I have it on 70* or I think it is clicking when I pull it by 75* when I tried to get it to shut off. Is my thermostat gone bad or is it...

View more questions Search