I have a fireplace insert that has a gas pipe leading into it, but the gas is capped and has not been used. There are three, 1 inch thick brick veneer panels that line the fire box.

The previous owner used the fireplace as a wood burning fireplace. I do also. I noticed a crack in the rear panel and repaired it using a concrete-like furnace cement I got from Ace Hardware. It holds up for about a year and then needs to be repaired again.

My question is: Do you think this type of fireplace insert is actually designed to be used as a wood burner? If so, why did the fire brick veneer crack after only a year or so? Are these panels readily available at retail stores? Any suggestions as to which one? I looked on the internet and found nobody that sells these panels. Thanks much.