plzhelpme2's Avatar
    plzhelpme2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#1

Jul 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Lennox Elite 10
    I own a Lennox Elite 10 purchased in 1996. In the last four years I have had four technicians out five different times to find a freon leak. They are unable to find the leak & the remedy has always been to put freon in. This year a different technician said he had a new product that should plug the leak when he put freon in. It worked for a month to six weeks & I again had no cold air. Now I find that it takes about forty minutes after I turn the AC on before I get cold air. I'm not sure if the compressor is coming on right away. I generally turn the unit off when I feel no cold air, this time I left it on just for curiosity. Any ideas as to what might be causing this new problem
    XenoSapien's Avatar
    XenoSapien Posts: 627, Reputation: 42
    Senior Member

#2

Jul 16, 2007, 03:13 PM
    What about the schrader valves--they love to leak. Did this tech tell you the product that he put in, because I've never heard of a product that simultaneously seals a leak during the freon input process. You might start with checking the solder joints with soapy water if the schraders check out OK (also with soapy water).

XenoSapien
    acetc's Avatar
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79

#3

Jul 16, 2007, 06:17 PM
    There is a product that proclaims to stop leaks in the refrigeration system, I strongly recommend not using these products.If they can plug a hole then what will happen to the metering device (expansion valve, piston or cap flo rater) Only refrigerant and oil should be used .The correct thing to do is find the leak, fix the leak and recharge system, get
    A different service company to check operation of compressor , If it were mine I would remove refrigerant charge, pull a vacuum replace liquid line drier and recharge system after I found and repaired leak, it does no good to keep adding refrigerant to system and just have it leak out. It is very hard on the commpressor to run low on charge because the compressor is cooled by the returning refrigerant and if run when low the compressor can and will overheat and then you could have more problems. Believe it or not leaks can be found but it takes patience and the right leak detector .Mike
    hvacservicetech_07's Avatar
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75

#4

Jul 16, 2007, 07:52 PM
    I agree with ace, the stop leak was a bad idea! Leaks can be hard to find, and sometimes it takes a lot of time, but it can be done. It is a waste of money to continue adding refrigerant, you might as well invest that money into a new system. Call another company, tell them you want the leak found and repaired.

Lennox A/C Problem [ 3 Answers ]

We have a Lennox HVAC, electric. Probably at least 25 years old. We were having a problem when using the electric heat with breakers popping off. We had the unit looked at. The repair guy said we needed a bigger breaker which we installed. The heat worked fine. When we switched to A/C the fan...

Lennox a/c unit [ 2 Answers ]

The fan does not turn on my borther in law says it is the circuit board because it will turn on for a little bit he said it is getting stuck. How do I find out what is really wrong with my a/c without paying a lot of money. When I got home yesterday my husband went up the roof and said the fan was...

Need help w/ Lennox (burrr) [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Whisper Heat by Lennox furnace, approximately 15 years old, model #G20Q3E-50-2, running on natural gas. Early in the season I had trouble where pilot would light for a couple seconds and go out, without ever lighting the main burners. Was told to check out the flame sensor, I did and it...

Lennox Thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

My old lennox thermostat has 8 letters o-g-y1-r-l-t-c-w1-.my new honeywell thermostat has 9 locations lettered rc-r-o/b-y-g-c-l-e-aux.where do i put the l wire from the old lennox thermostat?