Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #1

    Apr 3, 2014, 07:02 PM
    Hearing loss due to headphones?
    I have a pair of turtle beach x12's. I keep the bass boost at full and volume at full while listening to dubstep on my 'Macbook' with the Mac volume on 3 or 4. With the computer volume at three and the nob at full.. will this cause dramatic hearing impairments?
    ma0641's Avatar
    ma0641 Posts: 15,681, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member
     
    #2

    Apr 3, 2014, 07:03 PM
    Maybe not right away but will as you age. Higher frequencies, 4,000 Hz go first.
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #3

    Apr 3, 2014, 07:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ma0641 View Post
    Maybe not right away but will as you age. Higher frequencies, 4,000 Hz go first.
    Any way to reverse loss of hearing years after? Just in case. I mean I am all for being healthy but I love fairly loud music..
    CravenMorhead's Avatar
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert
     
    #4

    Apr 4, 2014, 06:53 AM
    Nope. Your hearing is based upon hairs in a organ moving with the flow of the water within the organ. When you lose hearing in a range that means a specific set of those hairs have died off. They don't grow back.

    Be kind to your ears, especially if you love music, because once a range is gone it is gone for good.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #5

    Apr 4, 2014, 07:15 AM
    As was said... once its gone... its gone... and you won't get it back. So treat your ears with respect.
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #6

    Apr 7, 2014, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    As was said... once its gone... its gone... and you won't get it back. So treat your ears with respect.

    Sad considering I love music such as dubstep with Earth shattering bass.. Ever thought of it? If the human body evolves how come it has never developed medical repair abilities? If the hair on your head can grow back why not the most important ones? But anyway I can't live without music. I turn the music up because I can't hear, I can't hear because I turn the music up..
    odinn7's Avatar
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert
     
    #7

    Apr 7, 2014, 10:18 PM
    And eventually when you keep doing that...you will hear it no more.

    Trust me, I've been there. I still have my hearing but it's not all that good. Loud music, shooting guns without hearing protection...what's that ringing noise? Don't worry, it will go away soon....It's not worth it.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #8

    Apr 8, 2014, 05:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodguy11 View Post
    Sad considering I love music such as dubstep with Earth shattering bass.. Ever thought of it? If the human body evolves how come it has never developed medical repair abilities? If the hair on your head can grow back why not the most important ones? But anyway I can't live without music. I turn the music up because I can't hear, I can't hear because I turn the music up..
    Why? Because in nature you aren't exposed to sounds that loud for extended periods... most sounds are rather faint and low... because you need to hear that mountain lion while its some distance off and not so close you can feel its breath on the back of your neck.

    If you can't deal with a reasonable volume... you might end up not hearing the music at all... or at least such a small range of frequencies it sounds like a cheap $5 hand held AM radio.

    Its one thing to be born Deaf, or become deaf due to medical reasons....its another to become deaf for stupid preventable reasons. Listening to excessively loud music is a stupid preventable reason.

    I've had tinitus for the last 37 years......because of things that go boom in my teenage years.....luckily I haven't had any other serious hearing loss...but I do have a hearing loss thats measurably different between the ears.
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #9

    Apr 8, 2014, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Why? Because in nature you aren't exposed to sounds that loud for extended periods... most sounds are rather faint and low... because you need to hear that mountain lion while its some distance off and not so close you can feel its breath on the back of your neck.

    If you can't deal with a reasonable volume... you might end up not hearing the music at all... or at least such a small range of frequencies it sounds like a cheap $5 hand held AM radio.

    Its one thing to be born Deaf, or become deaf due to medical reasons....its another to become deaf for stupid preventable reasons. Listening to excessively loud music is a stupid preventable reason.

    I've had tinitus for the last 37 years......because of things that go boom in my teenage years.....luckily I haven't had any other serious hearing loss...but I do have a hearing loss thats measurably different between the ears.

    While this does indeed make sense. I still can't get over the reason of how they don't grow back? Just because we did not experience tremendous volumes of sounds before technology does not mean its OK for the hair on your head to grow back but not the ones needed for vital things such as well.. HEARING.
    smoothy's Avatar
    smoothy Posts: 25,495, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member
     
    #10

    Apr 8, 2014, 01:48 PM
    A lot has to do with just how delicate and sensitve some things are... like the surface membranes of our eyes. Like fine delicate cut crystal long stem wine glasses... they are fragile... unlike a heavy clunky thick beer mug..

    Or comparing a formula 1 race car to a farm tractor. Both can get from point A to point B... but with high performance comes fragility.
    CravenMorhead's Avatar
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert
     
    #11

    Apr 8, 2014, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodguy11 View Post
    While this does indeed make sense. I still can't get over the reason of how they don't grow back? Just because we did not experience tremendous volumes of sounds before technology does not mean its OK for the hair on your head to grow back but not the ones needed for vital things such as well.. HEARING.
    It is a closed system. As well it would be too hard for the body to regenerate it. When I say hair, it isn't the same stuff as what is on your head. It is a precisely calibrated system consisting of fluid suspended receivers. If you lose one of those receivers there is no way for the body to know it is gone and no way to regenerate it. It is like cutting off a finger, burning flesh, cutting flesh, or losing an eye; your body covers and heals the damage but doesn't know how to regenerate it. The hearing apparatus was grown and developed in utero using partially differentiated stem cells. These cells are in short supply at the moment.

    Your body is vastly more intelligent than you think but not as smart as you want it to be. It is a really dumb reactive thing.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 53,915, Reputation: 10852
    Expert
     
    #12

    Apr 8, 2014, 03:33 PM
    What did you say CMH? Speak up, I can't hear you! :(

    @OP

    You pay for all the dumb stuff you do in your youth when you get middle aged and older. Don't worry about blowing your ears up with loud music. You will still be able to feel those deep bases even if you can no longer hear the grandkids whispering any more, or the TV.
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #13

    Apr 9, 2014, 07:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    It is a closed system. As well it would be too hard for the body to regenerate it. When I say hair, it isn't the same stuff as what is on your head. It is a precisely calibrated system consisting of fluid suspended receivers. If you lose one of those receivers there is no way for the body to know it is gone and no way to regenerate it. It is like cutting off a finger, burning flesh, cutting flesh, or losing an eye; your body covers and heals the damage but doesn't know how to regenerate it. The hearing apparatus was grown and developed in utero using partially differentiated stem cells. These cells are in short supply at the moment.

    Your body is vastly more intelligent than you think but not as smart as you want it to be. It is a really dumb reactive thing.

    Thank you for explaining this to me, I never knew this. But. WHY? Why does the body not know how to regenerate important limbs and what not? Just saying, it would be a nice advancement. Thank you though.
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #14

    Apr 9, 2014, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    What did you say CMH? Speak up, I can't hear you! :(

    @OP

    You pay for all the dumb stuff you do in your youth when you get middle aged and older. Don't worry about blowing your ears up with loud music. You will still be able to feel those deep bases even if you can no longer hear the grandkids whispering any more, or the TV.
    I guess you make a good point. I should not ruin things for me later in life because of stupid decisions in my youth. Well.. yeah. Probably is not going to happen. I love bass.. but thank you though!
    CravenMorhead's Avatar
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert
     
    #15

    Apr 10, 2014, 07:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodguy11 View Post
    Thank you for explaining this to me, I never knew this. But. WHY? Why does the body not know how to regenerate important limbs and what not? Just saying, it would be a nice advancement. Thank you though.
    We don't have the cells to do it. Once all the stem and semi-differentiated stem cells have been used they're gone. Regardless how would they know that you needed to grow a new arm/leg? Where would they know to start and tie it all in? Growth is an incredibly difficult procedure. Some lizards can regrow tails and they're trying to figure out how but it will probably not be likely to be useful for us. It isn't to say that it won't be able to be done sometime in the future, it is just not something we can do now, and not something that the body can do.

    As well if you look at this from a evolutionary stand point. If you've lost your hearing, a limb, or what not, than you really shouldn't be passing on your genetic material. If the accident was done through stupidity, "Hey Earl Hold my beer and watch this!", or inability to deal with a predator, or just a lower fitness, you don't want those traits to continue on. Being able to regenerate a limb or hearing will make those threats meaningless and as such some negative genetic traits might start to creep in and we'd doom ourself to extincting. We wouldn't be fit and wouldn't survive.
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #16

    Apr 10, 2014, 07:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CravenMorhead View Post
    We don't have the cells to do it. Once all the stem and semi-differentiated stem cells have been used they're gone. Regardless how would they know that you needed to grow a new arm/leg? Where would they know to start and tie it all in? Growth is an incredibly difficult procedure. Some lizards can regrow tails and they're trying to figure out how but it will probably not be likely to be useful for us. It isn't to say that it won't be able to be done sometime in the future, it is just not something we can do now, and not something that the body can do.

    As well if you look at this from a evolutionary stand point. If you've lost your hearing, a limb, or what not, than you really shouldn't be passing on your genetic material. If the accident was done through stupidity, "Hey Earl Hold my beer and watch this!", or inability to deal with a predator, or just a lower fitness, you don't want those traits to continue on. Being able to regenerate a limb or hearing will make those threats meaningless and as such some negative genetic traits might start to creep in and we'd doom ourself to extincting. We wouldn't be fit and wouldn't survive.
    Wow. That is an incredibly good point you just made. Thank you for explaining why this does not occur in the human body, and yes. Tuning our cells like the engine of a car does seem problematic. Just look at "Ultimate Spider Man" (I know its just a movie but still it explains it sort of.) I love your point of how if my hearing was to come back it would have me think of no excuses of blasting my ears over and over, and over. Thank you for the explanation.
    talaniman's Avatar
    talaniman Posts: 53,915, Reputation: 10852
    Expert
     
    #17

    Apr 10, 2014, 08:16 AM
    One way you can look at this is through the eyes of any junkie who does what he knows will cause him problem. Nothing you can do about the lack of not having the science, its all in dealing with the behavior that you know will cause problems. Very little difference between a smoker, a junkie, or a guy who blasts his base in his headphones, don't you agree?
    thegoodguy11's Avatar
    thegoodguy11 Posts: 69, Reputation: 1
    Junior Member
     
    #18

    Apr 10, 2014, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    One way you can look at this is through the eyes of any junkie who does what he knows will cause him problem. Nothing you can do about the lack of not having the science, its all in dealing with the behavior that you know will cause problems. Very little difference between a smoker, a junkie, or a guy who blasts his base in his headphones, don't you agree?
    I certainly cannot say I disagree with that. It makes much sense. Knowing it will cause harm, I continue to do it. Like ignorance, stupidity. Yes the things you say are extremely correct. I (should) stop listening to music so loudly and/or bassy. But as a 15 year old its probably not going to happen, but that does not mean I will not try to correct my ways.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search


Check out some similar questions!

Hearing loss due to knee replacement surgery [ 2 Answers ]

I am a college graduate, female, 59 years young, resident of Ross County, Ohio. I had a total knee replacement surgery 8/12/13 and am doing well with recovery. However, I discovered immediately after the surgery that I had a severe hearing loss in one ear. I advised all my doctors of this issue....

Woke up with muffled hearing, no other symptons, use ear plugs, music headphones, [ 7 Answers ]

Dear All, I woke up this morning on my annual leave (typical) with deafness/muffled hearing to my right ear. :confused: I do not have any other symptons, although throughout the day I have felt a little sicky at times, but not sure if this is linked. I usually keep very well. I have just...

Deaf and hearing loss by headphones project [ 1 Answers ]

I am making a psa for going deaf by headphones and I was wondering if anyone knows the official hearing association or another place like this that could tell me real info from doctors or other people that are smart about being deaf about headphones instead of stuff on ask.com and google.com


View more questions Search