Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcvandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 12:38 PM
    The difference between intel and amd
    I'm trying to buy a laptop and I don't know anything about them, so I want to know the difference between intel and amd
    quiero_matarme Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 03:09 AM
    There's not such a big difference. Intel is considered to be better than AMD. Most companies prefer Intel. But AMD is cheaper than Intel processors. By the other hand, Intel has a better technology in Dual-Core processors. If money is not a problem I would recommend Intel (DualCore). Hope that helps!
    roadstar1 Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Jul 26, 2007, 12:52 PM
    I have owned AMD and Intel chips in both desktops and laptops. For the casual or business user there will apear to be little or no difference. They will both run Windows very well. Let your budget be your guide.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2007, 01:50 PM
    It's the difference between Ford and GM. They both make Windows compatible processors just as Ford and GM both make cars. They each have different lines of processors and different models within each line.

I disagree with quiero. Intel is not considered better than AMD. While the Intel Core 2 Duo line is generally better than the comparable AMD (Athlon X2), the Core 2 Duo is a recent chip and before that AMD chips outperformed their Intel counterparts.

However, because AMD is the upstart they have to price their chips lower. Unless you are doing some very graphics intensive stuff go for the other features and don't worry so much about the processor.
    jocafer13 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2007, 04:53 AM
    I also agree with the suggestions from above :)

Mainly buying a processor is about processing power(Intel and AMD are almost the same except of the new HOT release, Intel DualCore), but there are also some things to put in mind.

AMD Semipron vs. Intel Pentium 4

Do you live from somewhere that has hot or tropical weather? I suggest buying AMD because from some sources AMD is better suited than Intel to those kinds of instances.

Other good qualities of an AMD processor:
    1.)The AMD processor's classification is said to be lower than that of a Intel processor but actually they(the makers) refer to it as a 'minimum', and actually these perform as well as the Intel processor.
    2.)AMD processors are very much cheaper(almost half the price) unlike the Intel, and--
    3.)They run at cooler rates(one reason why they are better in tropical or hot conditions).
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 06:23 AM
    I would recommend you to Google this, there will be a number of suggestions available.;)
    quiero_matarme Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 08:15 AM
    If there's an issue with the heat, you shouldn't buy air coolers, but a water-cooling system. It's far more expensive though and not all processor models are compatible with this. I don't know if AMD has produced processors compatible with water-cooling systems...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AMD Athlone 64 OR Intel Dual Core [ 15 Answers ]

Hi, I want to assemble a new computer for me. I want to know which processor should I use Intel Dual Core or AMD Athone 64 I use my computer for editing works,animation,video editing,converting videos and internet.I need very good performance,Graphix and good speed. WHICH PROCESSOR...

MacBook Pro Intel issue [ 2 Answers ]

I realize this is a intel mac issue but here goes... Using flip4mac I can't seem to play any streaming content--just get the message that I need to go to MS and install the media player plugin. More specifically, I tried to watch a streaming ball game on MLB.com. I checked and the plugins all seem...

What is the difference between AMD and INTEL? [ 5 Answers ]

I need some detailed expert explanation of the difference between AMD and Intel. Also I want to know that why people say AMD is ideal for gaming. Is that truly so? Please help me.

Amd Or Intel? [ 1 Answers ]

In laptops,what's benefits in amd or intel system?

Question difference Intel vs AMD? [ 2 Answers ]

I am helping my daughter with a paper on Intel vs AMD. We are stuck. We need the bad points on each I want no answers just need pointed in the right so I can her find and write about the answers. Thanks

View more questions Search