Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krichi437 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Where to go when no medical insurance?
    I am a 55 year old female. I have always been employed and had health insurance. However, at the beginning of this year I lost my job as a secretary at a school. I am working at a job now that pays only one-half of what I was making and does not offer health insurance. I have qotten quotes and rates for private health insurance for me would be about $350 - $400 per month. I cannot afford this. I am having all the symptoms of angina attack. Please let me know what is available.
    ravenette Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Dec 29, 2006, 11:30 AM
    I can't guarantee if this will work. There are so many different places in towns. Look for the salvation army and ask them if they have a free clinic. Then call volunteers of america and see if they have any knowledge on this subject. If you have a charity hospital even though it takes along wait it is worth it. I have found in the past people who have no ins. And no money are not treated as well as the ones that do. Be assured you are special and you are worth the fight. There are medical plans that will give you free meds and you have to save and pay for your dr. appt. Sucks but is better then nothing. Also if you get any ins. With a co. be sure that you ask if you can take it with you when you leave, if by fired, laid off or quiting. I hope this helps and ask again if there is any thing else.
    bkdaniels Posts: 140, Reputation: 12

Dec 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
    It is my understanding, if you loose your job, you can still keep your insurance. Contact your local Labor Department for more information about receiving benefits under COBRA.

Hope this answers your question!

REFERENCE(S)

1. U.S. Department of Labor, 2006. FAQs About COBRA Continuation Health Coverage
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Sadly yes under cobra you can keep your insurance at full price, and you have to pay for it, An example when I left working at GA Tech, I had to wait 3 months for my new insurance to take effect at my new company, for my family the cost of the Cobra coverage was about 800.00.

And the other problem with private insurance it will not cover anything you already have normally, so if you have been treated for this already, it may not pay.

I would look for another job with better insurance benefits if possible.

Also depending on how low your income is, there is state assistance programs, you may want to check with a state case worker.

And you can get insurance to cover major hospital stays cheaper, but they will have very high deductables you have to pay our of your own pocket.

Of course for emergancy care, the state funded hospitals can not turn you away, but they can bill you for the service
    cynt725 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2007, 08:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by krichi437
    I am a 55 year old female. I have always been employed and had health insurance. However, at the beginning of this year I lost my job as a secretary at a school. I am working at a job now that pays only one-half of what I was making and does not offer health insurance. I have qotten quotes and rates for private health insurance for me would be about $350 - $400 per month. I cannot afford this. I am having all the symptoms of angina attack. Please let me know what is available.
    Hi,

Even if you find a cheaper quote, underwriting for individual insurance is strict if you have pre-existing conditions. There are also catastrophic plans that are available in your state that are offered by the DOI (dept of insurance). For most states, state continuation (for employers with less than 20 employees) is only for a certain period and COBRA (Federal reg. for employers with 20 or more employees) is longer. You can look into conversion if you still have that option. YOu usually have 60 days to opt for COBRA. I wish you luck and hope this information is helpful.
    robin69special Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2011, 10:38 PM
    I would just like to say Life's ah ***** and then you die. Someone should write that down somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical Insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to retire from a large corporatation where I pay monthly premiums into our medical/dental plan. When I retire at end of year - that will stop and will purchase another family policy on my own. My wife has a travel agent business (a franchise - i.e. she receives a 1099 from them). My...

Medical Insurance/India [ 2 Answers ]

I need information on companies who offer medical insurance to US citizens living abroad who have existing medical conditions, please.

Medical insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi My name is Doren , I'm student, I want to join low amount of medical insurance but I don't know how to apply, give me some informetion,

Medical insurance [ 2 Answers ]

Helo I am working in a private company. Living with 55 years old mother, wife and a kid. I heard something about medical insurance. Please tell me more about it and how this will helpful in my life. Please refer some reliable insurance company nearest to my location. I am living in bangalore,...

View more questions Search