Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    victoria_mitchell's Avatar
    victoria_mitchell Posts: 242, Reputation: 32
    Full Member
     
    #1

    Dec 8, 2009, 08:50 AM
    preexisting medical condition
    I'm 21 years old and 4 days ago I broke my foot. I put off going to the doctors because I don't have insurance but my mom yesterday finally convinced me that I needed to go so I went to see a Doctor and did a "cash account" with him to x-ray my foot he said it was broken and I might need surgery but I have to go to a different doctor (a surgeon) to see if I in fact need the surgery.

    For him to tell me that cost $320.00 which I had to pay right then and there so noe I have $0.00 to my name. I know I need to go to the Doctors but I can't afford it and I have no money. My boyfriend has offered to get me insurance so that I can see a doctor for cheaper/copay but I'm worried that my insurance will find out that I did it 4 days ago and not cover me... any suggestions?

    Thanks!
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #2

    Dec 8, 2009, 09:27 AM

    So you are covered. You say 'my insurance'. I don't see the problem if you have insurance. How will your b/f get you insurance on short notice ?

    You paid the $320 up front, so now you get reimbursed by your own insurance company. Now you are in the same boat as a lot of other people. Do you have any indication what the surgery will cost, if any ? Can you negotiate with your own insurance company if it is over $2000 ?

    Tick
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member
     
    #3

    Dec 11, 2009, 07:58 PM

    Since you have a preexisting condition your bf's insurance would not cover you. They would simply deny the claim. Also you cannot just immediately get health insurance at the drop of a hat.

    You will have to somehow negotiate with the new surgeon for this surgery. How was your ankle broken? Is it a compound fracture or is it totally snapped?
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member
     
    #4

    Dec 11, 2009, 07:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    So you are covered. You say 'my insurance'. I dont see the problem if you have insurance. How will your b/f get you insurance on short notice ?

    You paid the $320 up front, so now you get reimbursed by your own insurance company. Now you are in the same boat as a lot of other people. Do you have any indication what the surgery will cost, if any ? Can you negotiate with your own insurance company if it is over $2000 ?

    tick
    Tick, honey, the OP said she has NO insurance right now. She can't get reimbursed from anyone if she has no insurance coverage.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,303, Reputation: 7691
    Expert
     
    #5

    Dec 11, 2009, 08:17 PM

    Sorry, even if you had not gone to the doctor, and boyfriend would have gotten you insurance ( and sorry he can't just get you insurance) he may give you money to buy a policy.

    But the doctors would have known this break happened long before the policy took effect so it would not have been covered.

    You may want to check with the local hospital that does treatment for those with no money and insurance. You would be able to set a payment plan up
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #6

    Dec 12, 2009, 06:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria_mitchell View Post
    but I'm worried that my insurance will find out that I did it 4 days ago and not cover me...... any suggestions??

    Thanks!!
    Hi Twink. I knew I read this right. Why is she worried that her insurance will find out and not cover her?

    Tick
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,505, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member
     
    #7

    Dec 12, 2009, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hi Twink. I knew I read this right. Why is she worried that her insurance will find out and not cover her?

    tick


    Maybe because the OP starts by saying she has no insurance and then closes with a concern that her insurance will find out about it?

    I'm guessing she means the insurance that the boyfriend will get for her (apparently overnight, which makes no sense).

    At any rate - OP is walking around with a broken foot or ankle or whatever and not getting treated because she has no insurance? I think I would make payment arrangements or ask the hospital social worker what help is available.

    This is one of those situations I see where the injured person does nothing, eventually has the break taken care of, is unhappy with the results and sues the Physician.
    jmjoseph's Avatar
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member
     
    #8

    Dec 12, 2009, 09:17 AM

    I sure hope that you have taken care of your foot. However you get the money, whether through a bank, relative, selling possesions, you need to have your foot set, and in a cast NOW.

    Don't let the lack of funds be a reason for you to have a lifelong limp.

    There are ways for you to get medical attention.

    Good luck.
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #9

    Dec 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post

    This is one of those situations I see where the injured person does nothing, eventually has the break taken care of, is unhappy with the results and sues the Physician.
    One think OP should consider is the foot setting itself wrong and the repair having to be broken again in order to give relief. Eventually, if not treated properly, improperly set break in the lower extremeties reverberates in hip joint strain and injury, and therefore, more 'preexisting conditions'.

    Tick
    JudyKayTee's Avatar
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,505, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member
     
    #10

    Dec 12, 2009, 10:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    One think OP should consider is the foot setting itself wrong and the repair having to be broken again in order to give relief. Eventually, if not treated properly, improperly set break in the lower extremeties reverberates in hip joint strain and injury, and therefore, more 'preexisting conditions'.

    tick


    Absolutely -

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Is this a medical condition? [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so not only does my problem affect me, it frustrates my husband to no end and I don't know how to correct it! I sleep... a lot. I get to bed frequently around 10-11pm and I sleep until like 1-2pm! I am pragnant and I understand fatigue is normal, but this is ridiculous. Ive always slept a...

Medical condition [ 2 Answers ]

Information about check mass, bump and bruise like color of the check

Medical condition [ 1 Answers ]

I have been having symptoms of extreme tiredness and achiness. My skin feels soar and bruised underneath, that's probably my muscles. Also when I go outside , As soon as I'm in the sun it makes me feel sick and instantly tired. Are all these symptoms related? If not what could be wrong?

Someone else's medical condition [ 4 Answers ]

I live in an apartment complex. One of the persons that live down stairs from me has an extremely bad chronic coughing problem. They cough all night almost every night that I've been living there. While I'm sorry for his misfortune, I'm not sure that it should have to be my problem. Is there any...

My Babies Medical Condition? [ 1 Answers ]

My 9 Month Old son Has just been Diagnoses with Congenital Spinal Abnormalities, After having to take him for a 3rd opinion Because I knew something was wrong with him. The first place I took him too took X-rays and said nothing was wrong I requested an X-ray, The second Place refused to Give him...


View more questions Search