Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    mta353's Avatar
    mta353 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 8, 2006, 05:44 PM
    No health insurance

    My boyfriend just recently had an accident where his hand went through a glass pane. He ended up tearing three tendons. This required one night of hospital stay and surgery. He then has to go to rehab for it. Unfortunately, he was just cut off his parent's insurance, and so he does not have any. Is there any help for him? Or is he just screwed with a huge doctor bill? Thanks!
    andrew2004's Avatar
    andrew2004 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    May 8, 2006, 09:14 PM
    Where did he put his hand trough the class
    If it was at work he can get work comp
    A lot of the time states will help out if you just ask them and can prove you need the help
    fredg's Avatar
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

    May 9, 2006, 05:56 AM
    He will have to make some arrangements, or a payment schedule, with the doctors and the hospital. Some local communities have a "family health center" for those without insurance, on a "pay as you can" basis, or with the treatment rendered for a reduced fee.
    This doesn't sound like one of them. In some cases, rehab won't even admit anyone without insurance... he is lucky.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692

    May 9, 2006, 06:49 PM
    ? Could he not afford his own insurance, well good lesson for others to remember, get health insurance if you at all can.

    But yes, he will have to make payment arrangements with them, they may turn it over to a collect agency.

    And if he can not promise or show the rehab people how he is going to pay them, they may not allow him to keep coming. I had a bad accident 15 years ago, workers comp refused to pay, health insurance refused to pay because they said it was workers comp.

    It took me five years to force workers comp to pay. I lost everything I owned and had my credit ruined.
    hcm1's Avatar
    hcm1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 12, 2007, 07:39 PM
    You can negotiate the bills, if the bills are incorrect. It is always a good idea to look and see
    Try it with this place
    Medical Bill
    boocat's Avatar
    boocat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 1, 2007, 12:23 AM
    There might be grants that you may be approved for as well..
    tigerlily308478's Avatar
    tigerlily308478 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Nov 19, 2009, 11:10 AM
    Sorry to say, but he may be completely screwed. If the injury was work related, workmans compensation will find any way they can, to deny his application for benefits. I believe every claim with workman's compensation gets denied the first time you file. You can get a lawyer that doesn't get paid until you win, but that doesn't always work out to your benefit either. Like with my case, I was a perfectly healthy 22 year old female, weighing in at 125lbs, and I got hurt pretty bad at work. I slipped a disk in my lower back. I applied for the Workman's compensation, and I was denied. I was denied because my doctor's office gave the insurance agent my personal medical information, claiming I didn't inform him that it was a work related injury, which was a load of bull, because the receptionist gave me a phone number for a good comp lawyer. Then they played the "pre-existing injury card".

    I got legal assistance from one of those lawyers that don't get paid until you win, but they decided to drop my case two days before my comp hearing, because I didn't make much money at the job where I got injured (just above minimum wage), and the lawyer wasn't going to make much of anything if I did win the case. Greedy pigs they are! With two small children, no child support, high rent, and no social assistance, I was in no situation to stay out of work. I needed an income, so I decided to drop my claim and look for work elsewhere. That was two years ago, when the economy and the job market started crapping their pants. I live in an area where there aren't many jobs available to begin with, so here I am two years later with two small children, no child support, no social assistance, a bad back (sciatica), and no job. I lost everything I worked my off to get. Literally. I lost my apartment, my car broke and I couldn't afford to put the money into it to fix it. My credit was ruined and now I'm living back with my parents, so I can't get social assistance for myself or my children because they consider the income of my parents even though their money is THEIR money.

    If your boyfriend doesn't make much money, if he has no job at all, and/or he doesn't live with his parents, he would have a much better chance at getting health insurance through the government. County assistance as they call it. I really do hope that your boyfriend finds the resources to get the treatment he needs, because I personally know from experience that the health care system, and the government's wonderful process of deciding who is poor enough to get government funded health care is one hell of a ride. Good luck. Seriously!
    nikosmom's Avatar
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

    Nov 19, 2009, 08:12 PM

    Old thread


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Senior Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

I receive O.A.S. & C.P.P.(Saskatchewan,Canada) My wife is not eligible yet, We have a 16 year old daughter still living at home. I have no medical insurance. Is there anything out there for me? Thanks

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have never bought private medical cover, critical illness insurance, Loss of earnings insurance, etc. I know that there is various advice and Web sites to help you lower your car insurance, but what, If any, facilities exist to help you shop around for these other types of insurance?...

View more questions Search