Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    muresan's Avatar
    muresan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 7, 2010, 07:07 AM
    If you care for people in there own homes
    And they are funded by the government for the care they reciev. How long does it take before you will receive payment for the service you supply. I am looking at starting my own care agency
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674

    Jul 7, 2010, 12:51 PM

    If you are in Canada, the only government agency that funds for home care is OHIP, and there are only two or three homecare providers that deal with the Access Center which is the end government agency that gathers the hours from OHIP and gives them out. You, as an independent provider would never be in the ballpark to bid on these hours.

    You will have to bill your own separate way and make enough money to cover your insurance costs, your equipment costs, having access to nursing care and doctors on call in case you need these services in an emergency.

    You had better do your homework, but then, I don't know what country you are in.

    It seems like a wonderful idea to make money but there is a tremendous overhead involved as well.

    Give some input and we will answer appropriately.

    LearningAsIGo's Avatar
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350

    Jul 8, 2010, 12:32 PM

    If you're in the US, the Medicare system can take up to 90 days to reimburse you, but often it can go much longer. Some claims can be denied for years.

    As tick mentioned, overhead for this venture is extremely large.
    bleusong52's Avatar
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46
    Full Member

    Jul 10, 2010, 06:55 PM

    You need to check your state's laws about doing private care IF you want medicare or the state to pay you. If you are in the United States. Now there are no real rules if you provide private care and the client pays you from their personal funds.

    If you go that route, you also need to consult with the IRS and possibly Worker's Compensation as you will be responsible to pay self employment taxes and pay into your own worker's comp.

    Do a business plan and see what your costs will be and then how much you need to charge. Some questions to answer is how you are going to cover mileage costs, supplies, how you are going to manage holidays/weekends, etc.

    Good luck. I would not do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to set up care home for people with learning disabilities, [ 3 Answers ]

I presently work in the care sector, but want to start working for me self. How can I go about this. Can you help me on how to get started. Thank you

Health and social care - caring for children and young people [ 8 Answers ]

I need help on this question... Evaluate a range of strategies and methods to support children and their families where abuse is suspected or confirmed.

Care homes [ 1 Answers ]

How difficult is it for you to set up a rest home in your own house - we have just built a house and have a separate wing with two beautiful rooms - large doubles I have been told I could charge appx 700 for one and 900 for the other does that sound unreasonable? Is the interviewing by the Care...

Why is it that the people you care about most [ 6 Answers ]

Always end up hurting you? I have liked this one boy for about a year now, and he liked me too. He kept telling me yeah, we can go out soon. But he also liked my best friend of 13 years. I didn't know this, until tonight, when he asked her out. When he told me, I started crying, and he kept...

View more questions Search