Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mykward Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2003, 03:43 PM
    Cannot access hard disk
    I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data".
    If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I cannot through fdisk,delete them and format.It is probably simple,but so am I.Help please?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 24, 2003, 05:55 AM
    cannot access hard disk
    Sounds like a controller issue. Is the secondary drive on the same cable? Will it work on the other cable?
    mykward Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2003, 06:12 AM
    cannot access hard disk
    Thanks Scott.If I boot up the slave as master,it can be read but I cannot format all of it.If I try to delete extended partition,it say that it cannot be deleted whilst logical drive exists and then if I try to delete log.drive,it tells me none has been defined.I can access as master but only format the 8 gig partition.
    Thanks,
    Mike Ward
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2003, 01:44 AM
    cannot access hard disk
    OK try this. Put things back as master and slave the way you originally had it. Once you check all your basics are OK, like RAM, bios settings, jumpers, right hard drive cables config. And so forth, disable or turn off the "RESTORE" settings on WIN XP, go to START->PROGRAM->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM->RESTORE. Also disable any anti-virus, firewalls, and any other special programs you have. REBOOT and see what happens. If this doesn't work, and you want to format your slave drive, you may need to do a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT command, BUT only do these as last resorts. Before using these commands, replace all your hard drive cables with an 80-pin, instead of the usual 40-pin, if you don't have the 80-pin yet. Next, if you are using any Y-splitter connector, remove those and connect directly.
    Use FIXBOOT or FIXBMR using WIN XP CD, and on start-up, go to REPAIR, go into MMC. If these don't work, you may have to do a low-level format.
    borg-matrix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2005, 03:32 AM
    Disc
    www.bootdisk.com if you can't still boot after fixing yer hardware problem. :D :cool:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2005, 03:39 AM
    Just a tidbit to add:
    If you have the slave back in, listen very closely when you try to access it.
    Do you hear any clicking, or any other odd noise?

I sure hope not, cause that means the HD may have physically failed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formatting the Hard disk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a harddisk of 80GB pre installed with Win98 SE. The hard disk is not partitioned and the entire disk is being used as a whole. I would like to create the partitions for the harddisk of 8GB each. But I heard that the standard FDisk option would not be suitable to format...

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU...

User can't access his local hard disk? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I've a Server running Wind2003, and some computer clients connected to it. I've used the OU to deploy some software packages to the users (published), the user can see the software package in the Add/Remove Software, but when he/she starts to install the package on his computer the...

Windows 98 and 120 gig hard disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using Windows98se and want to get a 120 gig hard disk. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size partition I can use with Windows 98se. I've heard that with large hard disks NTFS format is better/more effeicient. Is this so? And how much difference would it make. I'd rather not have to go to...

View more questions Search