Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Sep 4, 2009, 07:56 AM
    Auto file backup to external hard drive
    I recently read an article about the newest external backup hard drives. They pointed out that there are some very simple to use systems that you leave plugged in to a USB port, and whenever you change or add a new file, the hard drive immediately backs up only that file.

I back up my entire HD once a month, along with a bunch of other PC maintenance. It's a manual process, and I'm backing up 98% of files that haven't changed.

If I had a crash on day 29 after backing up, I'd lose a lot of valuable info.

I have been unable to find this article again, which named and recommended specific brand and models of these new "simple" back up systems. (I thought it was Tech Tips from Geeks.com, but it's not in their archives).

Can anyone recommend a simple ext HD that comes with the software to do this? Inexpensive is good too. 500GB would be plenty.

Thanks...
    olivesandtrees Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2009, 09:51 PM
    Windows XP can do this for you - you don't need extra software! See Windows XP Backup Made Easy. Backups in Vista or 7 are even easier!

BTW: I think you are looking for an "incremental backup" (which, again, Windows can do natively).
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Sep 4, 2009, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchsc View Post
    Can anyone recommend a simple ext HD that comes with the software to do this?
    I can't, but you can add this functionality with additional software. Second Copy is popular. Google real-time backup for others.

Also be aware that real-time backup can be problematic if a file gets corrupted. An immediate backup will overwrite the previously backed up good file. Since it may take awhile to notice the corrupt file, the backup will be worthless and the file lost.

HardBackup based on rsync and dirvish may also be of interest. It is a little technical to get setup, but once setup, it has these advantages:
    • Free
    • Hourly, Daily, ... Time Period of Choice backups can be done.
    • Multiple backups containing unchanged files only use a single stored copy of the file, significantly reducing backup time and storage requirements.
    • Backups are a file copy. Restoring consists of simply using Windows Explorer to copy the file back to its original location.
    • Set and forget

Example: I do manual bare metal recovery drive images with Acronis True Image monthly, and do full daily data backups with HardBackup every night. I keep two weeks of daily backups. If a file gets corrupted I have two weeks of daily versions to pick from to regress to.
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Sep 5, 2009, 10:35 AM

Thanks. This is a lot to understand. I shall start reading.

I found an external drive that seems to do what I want, but a bit expensive. Not sure if worth the money.

It's called Rebit: Walmart.com: Rebit 500GB Desktop Back-Up Applianc: Computers

Thanks again...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drive [ 4 Answers ]

I have a simpletech external hard drive, windows 98se, connected to a usb port. The "safely remove hardware" taskbar icon is not showing up any longer. I am afraid to switch of the hard drive.

External hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

How do I move my files to the external hard drive

Playstation 3 external hard drive game utility file transfers [ 1 Answers ]

I've connected a 500GB external hard drive to my 40GB PS3 and can transfer files back and forth from it, but how do I transfer actual game utility back and forth or downloaded games. I can only seem to delete them or do a whole system backup. Is there anyway to pick what to transfer or am I going...

External hard drive [ 2 Answers ]

I am running a HP A1657C PC,I would like to purchase a external hard drive about 160 gig can you advice which one would be right for me. I want to back up c drive and at present only using about 30 gig but want room to expand. Thanks for reading this and any info you can offer Alan

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search