Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    furnace widow Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 06:44 PM
    White hair on mini doxen?
    I have a 1yr old male mini doxen that has white hair on his chest,belly and paws. HE also has a liver colored nose and claws, not the typical blacks ones. He is registered. I've heard the white hair could indicate health problems? Any comments ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 07:59 PM
    If he has always been that way, I doubt it is anything to worry about. I know some purebred Labs have white markings. Other than disqualifying them as show dogs, it is no problem. If it is something that developed since the last vet visit, I would check with him.
    amyklane Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:29 PM
    You have what is called a double dapple mini daschund. You can get dapple daschund's and double daschund's. The white hair on your dog is why they are called double dapple's. The way they get this colouring is by breeding 2 dapple daschund's together which produces the double dapple. This is a bit of a no, no because when their gene's mix it can form mutations such as blindness and deafness in puppies, and the percentage rate of this happening when breeding 2 dapples is very high. If your dog has no problems now at the age of 1yr old then I really don't see why he/she would get anything out of the ordinary happening now. Dapple daschund's are the doxie's that are a solid colour all over with patches of either silver, brown, red etc all over them. I have a silver dapple doxie. They are just beautiful colourings. But as a responsible owner I would never breed her with another dapple, just regular colours. It would be heatbreaking to have 50% or more of the puppies born to have deformities. Hope this helps.
    Blackcat Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Feb 5, 2007, 12:33 PM
    I agree completely with amyklane! Which means you probably have some type of dapple! But if you have not noticed any health problems yet it is safe to say he is OK. But as I always say better safe than sorry, if you do notice a problem take him to the vet!

Brittany
    nontyp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 09:47 PM
    Are you sure she doesn't have a Piebald?
    Better ask an expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hair folical body hair vs hair on head [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have had testing done for a while I tested positive from hair from my head although I did not use. I then tested from my body hair and came back negative. The head hair was 90 to 100 days back and the body test was back almost twelve months. I wish to find out which is the more definitive...

Mini dauschund [ 5 Answers ]

My mini dauschund has just started constantly licking and more so scratching herself all the time. She never used to do this and now she's doing it so much she's starting to scratch herself bald in spots. How can I make her feel better so she stops? Please help.

Help! My hair is highlighted too white! [ 5 Answers ]

I hope someone can help me! I just got my dark brown hair highlighted today for the first time in a while. My stylist (whom I have never used before to highlight my hair) used a cap and some peroxide to "bleach out" my strands first. Then she was supposed to give me "caramel" highlights. Well, they...

To know about mini computer [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I write to know more about mini computer devices and their uses. Thanks. marybliss

Mini dachaund [ 1 Answers ]

What food should I feed my 2 1/2 yr old mini doxie and how do I prevent future back problems?

View more questions Search