Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sbardin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2006, 12:32 PM
    Lighten Dark Hair
    Can I use a light brown permanent hair dye to lighten up a dark auburn semi-permanent job that I recently did to myself?
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Sep 19, 2006, 08:38 PM
    Using a light brown color will "slightly" lighten your hair. If you want to lighten your hair, you will need to use a permanent color with a higher volume developer. A 20-30 volume permanent hair color can lift the color a couple of shades lighter.
    sbardin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Will my hair turn orange or some other strange color because of the auburn tint if I try and go lighter with the 20-30 volume permanent hair color?
    -

Sep 21, 2006, 08:00 PM
    High lift permanent hair colors can turn your hair brassy or an unwanted shade if your not careful. If you want to make your hair 2 shades lighter, minus the red. Try using a high lift color in the ash blonde series. Ash colors will neutralize red tones.
    littlelinz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2006, 03:29 PM
    Color will not lift color the only way it to use a lightener aka bleech try a bleech cap and then a lighter shade of brown if that's what your going for
    -

Nov 5, 2006, 04:53 PM
    Some permanent hair color has chemical agents that will lift your current color and deposit a lighter shade. However, if you want to go more than 3 shades lighter, the hair would have to be lightened with bleach and then the desired color is applied. Hairstylists will now do a single process without bleaching the hair. An experienced stylist can use a higher strength developer with the selected color and then place their clients under the hair dryer to achieve results. I do not recommend using a bleaching cap, it will ruin the hair. It's best to go to the salon if you intend to go lighter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! Brown hair color turned my hair a dark red! [ 31 Answers ]

So my girlfriend helped me color my hair to hide a few gray hairs coming in. Its usually a light to med brown, thought I might go darker. We used Loreal excellence crème ( Medium Brown). It actuall turned my hair into almost a dark redish brown, looks like I have naturally dark red hair! HELP! ...

How to lighten dark underarms [ 8 Answers ]

I heard about this cream that was used... I forgot what the brand was. It was sold in Manila, Philippines. If anyone knows about that. Please let me know. I think it cost PHP950 + shipping expenses. I'm looking for that. Or any other suggestions?

Hair too dark [ 1 Answers ]

I have naturally medium brown hair and the other day I decided for the first time to dye my hair. I used a midnight black dye that is semi-permanent and says will wash out in 28 days. After I dyed my hair I realized I hated it and saw that if you already had dark hair it won't wah out in 28 days. I...

Too dark to lighten [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, everyone. Just a brief description of myself. I am african with a mixture of black and brown complexion. My arms are brown/dark brown as wll as my legs and chest. But my torso, neck, back and face are black (almost jet black). My nose and central areas of my face are brown though. Before...

Hair too dark [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading this great advice and had some wuestions of my own. I went to the same lady to do my hair previously and it turned out nice, but as the dark faded I felt the highlights she put into it became too much of a comtrast... blonde with brown, just not my look. So I went to her on...

View more questions Search