Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    h2ogirljen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 02:39 PM
    First no air, now air is warm
    We had power issues a couple of days ago from Tropical Storm Ernesto, and I heard the AC go off during one of the power blips. The temps outside have been really nice for the last couple of days, so we didn't notice that there was no air coming from the vents in our house. So the unit outside has run for a couple of days now non-stop but we haven't had any cooling since there was no air coming through the ducts. We realized it today since it has warmed up again. My husband reset something on the air handling unit and we do have air flow now, but its not cold as it usually is. Do you think this could be because its frozen up since it has run for about 48 hours solid? This is a fairly new unit, less than two years old and we haven't had any problems before this. Thanks for any advice!
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 2, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Are you sure it's frozen up? Was there frost or ice on any of the lines leading up to the air handler? If it really has frozen up - there may be a pretty good size chunk of ice in there which will restrict air flow and keeping it on will only aggravate the problem. Turn it completely off for at least 24 hours to let any ice melt and try it again. If that does it - fine - but if it freezes up again, it may be low on refrigerant or there is not enough air flow ( bad / intermittent blower motor, blocked ducts, etc). Other considerations would include your compressor getting zapped by voltage surge or repeated on / off due to intermittent power failure.
    h2ogirljen Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 06:45 PM
    No ice on the lines leading up to the air handler. If the compressor has been zapped, is it difficult to replace ourselves... if so, is it very expensive? Thank you for your help. This is a Goodman split system heat pump.
    jgj6331 Posts: 153, Reputation: 19

Sep 2, 2006, 08:15 PM
    I'm just a DIY guy who's had some experience with my own AC's. I'm really not current on compressor replacement costs, but it's not cheap. Before you sell the farm though - let it sit like I suggested and try it again tomorrow. You've got nothing to lose - you're not going to get an AC tech out there (unless you are willing to pay a big premium) over the weekend or Labor Day. Also, it may be a simple fix (low freon, etc.) - enjoy what's left of your weekend and Labor Day...
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2006, 08:30 PM
    If you know the blower on the air handler is running check to make sure that you have air coming out of the ducts. If there is no air then you can be sure that either the coil is frozen over or the filter is stopped up with dust and hair and all the other stuff that loves to get in filters. If you think your compressor is bad, look in the yellow pages and see if someone will give you a free second opinion, and yes I do know that you have not had the first one yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just warm water - In the stand-alone shower [ 9 Answers ]

My question is just slightly different than briang30's so forgive me for starting a new post. We recently moved into a 25 year old home in August of last year. The master bathroom stand-alone shower will get warm, but not hot. Also it takes about 7 minutes for it to get to the "warm" mark. ...

Warm GFCI Breaker [ 1 Answers ]

In our electrical panel we have 2 AFCI breakers next to each other. One is for the master bedroom the other is for 2 guest bedrooms. Each of these breakers is warm to the touch. We have had no electrical problems in either room and it has never tripped. I just thought it was strange that these...

Why only warm water, not hot? [ 5 Answers ]

We just remodeled our master bathroom and had some real amateur jokers (not plumbers) do the work, They installed the new plumbing fixtures (faucets and a toilet) but now the shower does not get hot, it just gets warm. The sinks in the bathroom get quite hot but the shower does not. Also the...

Why warm-up? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Is it important to do a warm-up before exercising? I was told that it is important to get more oxygen before we start exercising. If this is true, can we use breathing techniques to get more oxygen instead of a warm-up?

Have warm water coming from the hose outside [ 2 Answers ]

I don't know how or when it happened but I have warm water coming from the hose outside. At first I thought it was the hose being in the sun but the water never ran cold. I know that this just doesn't happen. I got a new hot water tank about 3 yrs. Ago and it didn't do it then so some happened and...

View more questions Search