Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbud333 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 08:14 PM
    Where did my icons go?
    I am hoping I can find an answer here.. It all started when I needed to do an Excel sheet in Microsoft Office. It said that there had been a recent change in the application and I needed to reinstall the program from the CD. I can't find the CD so I decided to do a restore to an earlier time hoping it would go back to when Office worked. The restore went back 2 weeks but it still could not open Office so I did another restore going back another 2 weeks. After that my computer starts but only shows the picture that I have for wallpaper. No icons, no taskbar, nothing. The CD Drive does not read CD's, and when I try to start it up in Safe mode it just hangs up with a black screen and Safe mode written in each corner. I can open the task manager and everything I select to open comes back saying it can'f find the application to open it. I don't know what to try next. I can't even get into setup. HELP!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Apr 20, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Try running system restore from the command prompt.

1. Restart your system
    2. When the system first boots, type F8 to bring up the boot menu
    3. Select the Safe Mode with Command Prompt option
    4. Log-on as administrator if needed
    5. At your command prompt type %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Apr 20, 2007, 05:47 PM
    Thank you for responding to my problem. I did what you suggested and I get the message that it is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    But now after doing that ,I open the task manager and there is a flolder named cmd.exe in the applications window when there was nothing there before. I click on it and the task manager closes.
    While still in the task manager I click on processes and this is what is listed there:
    Taskmgr.exe
    Cmd.exe
    Lsass.exe
    Services.exe
    Einlogon.exe
    Crss.exe
    Smss.exe
    System
    System idle process SYSTEM
    When I click on users, is has nothing.
    When I click on new task and type in what you said it tells me that this file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the folder options control panel, but I don't know how to get there.
    Whatever I type into the create new task, that is the message that I get or if I click on browse and try to open anything there, same thing.

Apr 22, 2007, 08:29 AM
    Ok, try just typing rstrui.exe or c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Apr 22, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tbud333
    I am hoping I can find an answer here..It all started when i needed to do an Excel sheet in Microsoft Office. It said that there had been a recent change in the application and I needed to reinstall the program from the CD. I can't find the CD so I decided to do a restore to an earlier time hoping it would go back to when Office worked. The restore went back 2 weeks but it still could not open Office so I did another restore going back another 2 weeks. After that my computer starts but only shows the picture that i have for wallpaper. No icons, no taskbar, nothing. The CD Drive does not read CD's, and when I try to start it up in Safe mode it just hangs up with a black screen and Safe mode written in each corner. I can open the task manager and everything I select to open comes back saying it can'f find the application to open it. I don't know what to try next. I can't even get into setup. HELP!
    OK I did it and I still get the same answer"it is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."
    The command prompt says

C:\Documents and Settings\Terry>

If that helps?

Apr 23, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Try Safe mode with VGA graphics instead. Also try every option there is in the F8 boot menu.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Icons in Taskbar [ 1 Answers ]

I lost all my icons on the task Bar and the little arrow that I use to see the hidden icons. What do I do to get them back?:rolleyes:

Taskbar Icons [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with the taskbar icons on a computer I am working on. They are abnormally small. The rest of the screen looks fine but the icons down in the bottom right hand corner of the screen next to the time and the quick launch toolbar are tiny. The icons are so small that, on the right...

Icons [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to hide the application icons in my computer? Every time I installed something (i.e. softwares) a new icon is created. I just have so much that it filled the whole monitor. Plssss help me.

View more questions Search