Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    johanazlan99's Avatar
    johanazlan99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 1, 2009, 01:52 AM
    Enlarging Photos or Images
    Hello, I'm here to ask about the best software or the best way to enlarge a normal images to a high resolution images. I'm having trouble about finding a high resolution images on the websites. Even my own images that i take using a digital camera is still bad. Can anyone here helps. If anybody know any software or website that can enlarge images to a high resolution images. I'm talking about the images of 100DPI and I want to re size it to like 300DPI at least. Any helps will be so much appreciated. Thank you.
    ChihuahuaMomma's Avatar
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

    Mar 1, 2009, 02:01 AM

    I probably wouldn't be of much service, I use PAINT to adjust my photos.
    KahnArtist's Avatar
    KahnArtist Posts: 13, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Mar 1, 2009, 08:40 AM

    Digital cameras usually have a setting of resolution. Go into your settings and make sure it's at the highest possible.
    As for resizing other pictures with better resolution, I'm not sure that's terribly doable. The resolution is the set number of pixels and when you enlarge it you are also enlarging those pixels, not adding any. You can change the pixel resolution if you have a program like Corel or Photoshop, but it's not much of a solution.
    johanazlan99's Avatar
    johanazlan99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 1, 2009, 09:02 AM
    Well thanks for the answer. I tried PhotoShop already but it still did not work out well. There must be a way to make it happens. The problem is I just don't find any software yet that can enlarge the image and not destroying the quality of the image itself. I'm using the PhotoScape right now. I can't tell whether it is better than PhotoShop or not because its been a long time ago when I was using PhotoShop. But it did not satisfy me at all so I left it. I can enlarge the image using PhotoScape now and the quality is not so bad. But what I'm looking for is something that can make the DPI reach to 300. Even how big I tried to enlarge the image using PhotoScape the DPI is still below 100. So I know that the quality is not the best yet. :(
    thehojos's Avatar
    thehojos Posts: 6, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 29, 2009, 07:16 AM
    I agree with the previous answer- the absolute best thing to do is set your camera to the highest resolutin in order to begin with a large image. The sad reality is that you can always do down but you just can't go back up!

    One an image is rasterized at 100 DPI, you can enlarge it to 300 DPI, but you'll simply be enlarging/blurring the existing pixels. I won't say I haven't done this, but it's not truly enlarging the photo, it's just blurring it a bit. It can pass if it isn't being printed in a large format, but can become quite obvious.

    I use the Adobe Suite (Illustrator and Photoshop) it's really the only way to go- but it also means EXPENSIVE! A good thing to try may be "GIMP" (GNU Image Manipulation Program ) which is a free, open-source program. It's hailed as "the free photoshop" and it even has a plug-in called GIMPSHOP which mimics the Photoshop interface. I'd give it a try- it might seem a little daunting at first, but it's a true image manipulation program and would have everythign you need to change sizes/resolution of images.

    I hope that helps!
    NeedKarma's Avatar
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

    Mar 29, 2009, 07:42 AM
    You can never enlarge an image and not lose quality - you can't add pixels that weren't there. You might think you have enlarged a picture in the past but that is usually because you were viewing it in a higher dpi; once you drop the DPI the image enlarges since it needs less dots to fill the inch with the same data.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enlarging a basement stairwell drain to earth [ 1 Answers ]

I'm addressing damp basement issues. One casuse is the basement stairwell, which fills up during thurnderstorms and flows under the basement door. The stairwell has a drain that goes to earth. (Inside the basement, the center of the basement floor also has a drain that goes to earth. Our home was...

Enlarging a basment shower/ venting [ 1 Answers ]

We are changing an existing shower from a 32x32 fiberglass to a 48x48 tiled in shower. There is a cast iron Pipe that was connected to a copper vent. It now sits in the middle of the larger area we are intending to be our shower. The vent pipe that it was connecting to is less than 30" away can we...

Enlarging patterns [ 1 Answers ]

Suggestions please on enlarging pattern

Enlarging shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am in the process of enlarging my downstairs bathroom in a tri-level home. I am moving the drain to center it in the shower. I have removed the old concrete and moved the drain about 18 inches. We would like to drop the shower floor a couple of inches as I am very tall and the bathroom has...

View more questions Search