Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tashajjai Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2011, 08:11 AM
    Are there any grants available for ex-felons?
    I have been out within society for 4 years. I work a steady job and have recently bought a home. I got accepted to Devry, which I was excited about. All of my past school loans are paid off. But when the FAFSA came back, I could only get roughly $4,000 in loans. Which will leave me paying roughly $800 per month out of pocket. I can not afford that. Are there any grants out there for someone in my situation?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
    There are no grants specifically for ex-felons. Everyone pretty much applies for the same monies.

Have you researched Devry thoroughly and its reputation as a diploma mill? I know that's not your question but it should be a consideration before you invest money and receive a diploma which may be of little value.

Oct 26, 2011, 09:40 AM
    Hi JudyKayTee,

Please elaborate. Devry has a reputation that is bad? I would like to know more about this please.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 10:02 AM
    DeVry had a bricks-and-mortar school near me and seemed fairly reputable as a technical institution. Now they've gone global with online courses and degrees.

Because the company he worked for was willing to pay the tuition, my younger son snapped up three master's degrees from their grad school Keller. Even though DeVry's accreditation is legit, I would be very careful if I were you. Call several large companies to ask what they think of DeVry degrees.

I have a call out to my home library regarding DeVry's rating in the college books/guides. Will post that information as soon as they call me back.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2011, 10:49 AM
    I should have been more specific. There are many, many places to research DeVry (and other similar institutions). Their undergrad programs are different (apparently) from their grad school degrees. I would hestitate to recommend any one site, because the "ratings" are all over the place - good, bad, indifferent.

My specific experience was with their Nursing Degree (you CANNOT get licensed in my State, NY, without actual hands on experience, on matter what DeVry says.). If you do "attend" DeVry you STILL have to enroll in and attend a nursing program in NY - many of the classes, therefore, are duplicates) and it's pre-law program (which will NOT get you into law school in NY). If DeVry still offers a paralegal program, it is the same - useless in NY because DeVry does NOT teach the law as it exists in every State.

With a felony it is also important to verify that, if your intended career requires licensing, you can actually be licensed - I am thinking of Nurses, Pharmacists, careers of that nature.

It may very well be that other programs are worthwhile. Maybe it depends on the major or intended degree. Perhaps checking into the industry you want to enter would be helpful.

I know DeVry was investigated by the FBI some years ago for fraudulent advertising and/or advice given to prospective students. I have no idea how that played out.

I have no vested interest in this school one way or the other - I just think people intending to enroll should do their research. I haven't seen the question in a while but for a period felons were enrolling in a truck driving school which promised them jobs. Not a single "graduate" could find employment because not a single one could get insurance or bonding. Of course, I'm sure there are exceptions. I only know what is asked on AMHD.

Wondergirl has the resources and knows how to use them - I'm curious to see what her research indicates.

I honestly think going to school is a great idea for anyone. I admire your spirit and the work you've already done to get to your final goal. I just think you need to be very sure you are not incurring a debt which you will pay for years for a diploma which you cannot use.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 01:13 PM
    As to grants, no, you can look into student loans, but there are no special grants for excons, they can get many of the same as everyone else, they can not get a few, depending on what they were charged with.

Oct 26, 2011, 07:56 PM
    @ Wondergirl & JudyKayTee I am interested in the CET there Computer Engineering Technology. Basically, I was looking for a skill as well as a career. I wouldn't mind fixing computers and adding programs to a computer or build a computer itself that is compatible to the user and his/her needs.

I know that in terms of employment, it is hard for a ex-felon to make it. Even now: I am overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated.

I truly appreciate the information. I will do more research!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2011, 08:06 PM
    I heard back from two libraries I had called. Both agreed that the bricks-and-mortar school (DeVry) was legit and accredited properly. There's no rating system yet for online coursework or distance learning (2012 will be the first rating in a national magazine that does college ratings).

The reference librarians surmised that some coursework is acceptable being done online, but others, including hands-on learning, would be difficult to do online.

If you complete the program, your diploma will be legit, but some employers may not give it much value. Have you considered becoming an apprentice to someone who does the kind of computer work you want to learn? There are a couple of computer-building stores in my area, so check for something similar in a city near you. Also, ask them how important a degree is, or is hands-on learning just as valuable?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to know if there are grants for felons? [ 2 Answers ]

If there are grants avaible for felons what types of grant are they

Is there any free small business grants or grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I'm an ex-felon trying to get on with my life and become a possitive person for myself and my children and for the comity that I live in is there any kind of grants I can get to open up a business I would only need about 10,000 to have everything up and going

Grants for ex felons [ 6 Answers ]

Where so I find grants for ex felons?

Grants for felons [ 3 Answers ]

I need info. On student grants for convicted felons returning to school

View more questions Search