Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marvinwilson Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 07:38 AM
    Apply for a grants to clothe and feed myself as well as room and board
    In 1991 I was incarcerated for 18years, out of the 18 I spent 9 years day for day in lieber C.I.When I reentered soceity as I expected nobody wanted to hire me, I ended up going right back to jail with a 12 year sentence, I spent 6 more years. Now at the age of 45 I have a grandson in elementary school and I'm doing everything in my power to make sure he doesn't face the same hurdles I did. The money if I'm blessed to receive it will go towards furthering my education as well as making our living conditions better, as of right now I'm homeless
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2010, 07:42 AM

Depends on where you are, what State.
    taz060171 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 07:49 AM
    I was also incarcerated for a period myself. Also had the same hurdles as you did. Most states have a department of vocational rehab that will help in getting you schooling for a trade. I did this and now am a warehouse manager for a major company. Most companies will overlook some prior convictions as long as they don't impose any safety or security problems. Hope this was helpful to you. Also when filling out an application, in the space where they ask if convicted, put "to be discussed with interviewer" this will "intrigue" most employers and they will more then likely call you for interview. Then you can use that opportunity to explain what happened and what you are doing to not have it happen again. Also tell them (if asked) the reason you put, "to be discussed with interviewer", "was because you didn't know who would see the application and that information should be between the boss and yourself"

Oct 13, 2010, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Depends on where you are, what State.
    How stupid can u be, everything is not as simple as u think I'm sure there are no skeletons in your closet

Oct 13, 2010, 08:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by taz060171 View Post
    i was also incarcerated for a period of time myself. also had the same hurdles as you did. most states have a department of vocational rehab that will help in getting you schooling for a trade. i did this and now am a warehouse manager for a major company. most companies will overlook some prior convictions as long as they don't impose any safety or security problems. hope this was helpful to you. also when filling out an application, in the space where they ask if convicted, put "to be discussed with interviewer" this will "intrigue" most employers and they will more then likely call you for interview. then you can use that opportunity to explain what happened and what you are doing to not have it happen again. also tell them (if asked) the reason you put, "to be discussed with interviewer", "was because you didn't know who would see the application and that information should be between the boss and yourself"
    I feel you, and I'm thankful that there is at least 1 person out who doesn't think that everybody could be president!
    taz060171 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2010, 08:18 AM
    Comment on marvinwilson's post
    Another thing to try is look for a smaller company they tend not to care too much about backgrounds. Good luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 13, 2010, 08:28 AM

Hello, there is no grant that is going to give money to you and yes different areas have different programs, Atlanta for example had a wonderful program ran by some relgiouis groups that helped with some transition. Some areas will have less.

So your stuipid attitude is already showing and showing why my bet you don't make another 5 months outside the walls. If people want to help you, and this was one of our better experts, you get smart... with them. So will they want to help you now, bet not.

Will any of our other real experts come here to help you, most likely not now, since you have shown that you , like too many getting out, don't want to put effort into getting help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where can I apply for grants for free! [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I apply for a grant without having to pay for some kind of fee, for applying

View more questions Search