Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 28, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Grants for low-income medical debts
    Are there grants for people with medical debt? Or grants for people that are low-income?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 02:04 PM

The ones I know of you have to apply for when you are at the doctors, hospital or ER.

Also you can apply for welfare medical. They go back the past 6 months and cover those medical bills if you are eligible.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2009, 11:35 PM
    Hi, Momma!

Yes, there are grants and monies available for people who have low income to cover medical debts. I was recently hospitalized a couple of times. Everything was covered by the state. I'm sure that what's available, does vary by the state, though. The doctor that I see outside of a hospital, is at a community clinic. So, things are also covered there, monetarily.

So, what's up with you concerning this, please? I'm just asking that in general and not trying to get personal or nosy.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 03:31 PM

I have a lot of dental bills are that are in collections... and they not only have my name on them, but my exes. And he's been hounding me to get them taken care of because it's affecting his credit as well... SO I REALLY need to get them taken care of. I'm tired of talking to him.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 03:37 PM

The only way I know is start making monthly payments or apply for welfare medical.
    With medical as long as you are making 5 to 10 $ a month payments they can't give you bad credit from my understanding.
    I would call and make a payment agreement with them. Medical they can't make you pay more than 10 a month
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 03:40 PM

The thing about the grant is that you would need it at the time of service.
    It is unlikely that they would be retroactive.
    Perhaps there is something you could have drawn up legally to absolve him of any debt.
    I also know you can get interest rates reduced if you get on the phone and try to work with people.
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 03:42 PM

Yep exactly with grants they have to be applied for right then.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    The only way I know is start making monthly payments or apply for welfare medical.
    With medical as long as you are making 5 to 10 $ a month payments they can't give you bad credit from my understanding.
    I would call and make a payment agreement with them. Medical they can't make you pay more than 10 a month
    I know that years ago that was the case but there was a post the other day and this person had made an agreement with the hospital and they paid every month ,on the agreed amount.It went to collection and they were charging a huge interest and I researched it and its legal!
    Give me a break!
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2009, 03:53 PM

Yeah I have noticed that is happening more and more. Hopefully ChihuahuaMomma
    Can work something out asap
    Vision Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 05:42 PM

I already am making small monthly payments, but they don't do much. I can't get state medical, I am single with a full-time job with no children.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2009, 05:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma View Post
    I already am making small monthly payments, but they don't do much. I can't get state medical, I am single with a full-time job with no children.
    You can apply now for health care through the state.That may not have any affect re;your arrears.

There could be a program I am not aware of. I would hope so.
    Many times there are orgs.like Catholic Charities who will assist you with money and help if they know you are not just taking advantage.I know your not.They will know it too.

I would call your local Department of Health and ask them where to refer you to.
    You may have to do a lot of phone work but sometimes it just takes the right person to hear you and help.

You need to say "Olivia in records" told me.Always ask for names.

Its usually the last one :) The most helpful !

Being emancipated at such a young age and doing well should count for something !:D
    Vision Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 06:56 PM

Nope, I'm not eligible for state medical. I've already tried. Personally, I can't go to a Christian organization, I WOULD feel like I was taking advantage since I'm not Christian. I will have health insurance through my job in two months, but that won't help the past due bills.

Thank you for all the advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 07:02 PM

Christian groups help anyone, being a christian is not a requirement.
    Vision Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Christian groups help anyone, being a christian is not a requirement.
    Oh, I know. I suppose my post was misleading. I was saying that I would feel that I was taking advantage of their kindness being that I'm not a Christian. It's my own personal thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medical grants [ 2 Answers ]

I have $2267.48 left or my medical debt from living in CT I currently live in MD. Are there any grants to help me pay for this. No one has an on going medical need or anything. I didn't qualify for state assistance yet we couldn't afford insurance. I had to take my son to the doctor who was 2...

Bad debts in Budgeted Income Statements [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I am doing a Budgeted Income Statement. If there is a percentage of credit sales that will not be received therefore bad debts, should this be shown. From my readings, I understand that this will decreased the projected funds coming into the business, so I assume that they would have to...

Grants For Medical Reasons [ 4 Answers ]

Do they have grants for people with either disabilities, hemophilia, or brittle bones?

Cancelled Debts with earned income credit [ 1 Answers ]

I recently received a cancelled debt paper from a credit company that cancelled a debt. They did this on their own, I did not request it. I have a cancelled auto debt for 9061.00. I have three children and I qualify for the earned income tax credit. How will this cancelled debt affect my tax...

View more questions Search