Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lightswitch2 Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Feb 24, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Are Gov Grants Ads All Fake?

Some posters state there are no government grants. I would like to know if that is true and, if it IS true, HOW are all these advertisers getting away with blatant fraud on TV, on the net and in magazine ads? If it ISN'T true, why an't ANYone say where this information is listed free by the government. It's frustrating... like trying to catch sunlight with your hand. [/I]
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 10:41 AM
    There are government grants. But most of them are useless to the average person. "Grants" for things like paying off your personal debts or something similar don't exist. But there are grants out there for things such as studying how many times per night tree frogs in Tanzania croak in July. This is the kind of stuff you'll find if you examine any of the publications that are touted on TV and the other media advertising "free government grants."
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 24, 2008, 11:37 AM
    Yes, there are some grants, for example the government may give a 10 million dollar grant to a non profit group to help elderly home owners winterize their home. There are gronts in down town Atlanta that will help with down payments if you go into certain neighborhoods (inner city)

And yes, there is one right now I saw for someone to study the effects of kudzo on the environment ( got to jump on that one) and another one to do research on something in Africa ( Yep US grant)

There are a lot of government sites that offer info, but the issue is grant writing, my good friend until he got very ill was a grant writer companies paid him large amount of money to write grant applications.

If you want to start certain business, in certain areas you can get tax breaks, and some grants at times,

So are there 1000's of grants, yes, are most for colleges, government departments, businesss expansion and more. There are no grants to pay off your credit cards or personal debts or buy you a car.
    GrantGopher Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Mar 1, 2008, 04:16 AM
    There have been fraud alerts issued by the government regarding these scam artists. Generally, these companies advertising "free government grants" just flood your e-mail with a bunch of spam about refinancing your home, and other garbage. They're hoping to make a commission from a sale you complete by clicking one of their stupid e-mail offers. They also like to tell you (in very vague terms) about public assistance programs that you can easily find yourself just by searching your city and county websites.

There are grants for individuals and for business, but you have to be ready to look hard, be patient, and have a defined purpose for the money. "free money to pay your bills" does not count, you won't find grants for that! Dang it!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Hello light:

In terms of "some posters", I might be one.

There seems to have been a rash of questions lately from exconvicts who want to know if there are grants specially designed for them. I have said no, because there isn't.

There are certainly other grants, however.

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantGopher View Post
    There have been fraud alerts issued by the government regarding these scam artists. Generally, these companies advertising "free government grants" just flood your e-mail with a bunch of spam about refinancing your home, and other garbage. They're hoping to make a commission from a sale you complete by clicking one of their stupid e-mail offers. They also like to tell you (in very vague terms) about public assistance programs that you can easily find yourself just by searching your city and county websites.

There are grants for individuals and for business, but you have to be ready to look hard, be patient, and have a defined purpose for the money. "free money to pay your bills" does not count, you won't find grants for that! Dang it!

And a fair number of these are simply fronts for getting names for mailing lists in order to offer high-interest loans and credit cards.

There certainly are grants out there but certainly not everyone qualifies - or, after reading the qualifications, wants to qualify.
    calvin719 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswitch2 View Post

Some posters state there are no government grants. I would like to know if that is true and, if it IS true, HOW are all these advertisers getting away with blatant fraud on TV, on the net and in magazine ads? If it ISN'T true, why an't ANYone say where this information is listed free by the government. It's frustrating ... Like trying to catch sunlight with your hand. [/I]
    Hi I thank grants are fake because I have not got one yet
    calvin719 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Grants are fake
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 9, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by calvin719 View Post
    grants are fake

I heard you the first time. I think children are fake, too. I don't have any.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gov grants - any Grants [ 8 Answers ]

I have a new business for 6 months. I have been in this type of work for 11 years and have the same customers. I buy offshore produce and ship them to the states. I ship 40,000 - 200,000 pounds a week"or I did" I don't have the up front money to buy now. Does anyone know a good place to start ...

Search CA LandLord Tenant Laws = Gov sites Blocked? [ 4 Answers ]

Search CA LL Laws I wasn't sure which category I should post this in? Here or computer something or other. Since I was working with this because of needs driven by CA Landlord/Tenant Law. I decided to post here. I was working on setting up a customized search engine for CA LL Law. It's a...

Gov grants for convicted felons [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where and how I get started, to apply for a grant that helps felons start there own bossiness. Any help or guidance would be appreciated. Thank you

Free Gov Grants [ 1 Answers ]

How Do I Get A Government Grant Totally Free To Start A Small Business

View more questions Search