Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !

    Grants for senior citizens home repairs

    Asked Feb 20, 2010, 02:28 PM — 5 Answers
    My mom is 84 yrs old and only receives social security-she has been having water leaking into her basment for years. We would dry it up and wait for the next rainfall. It has gotten so bad that she now has mold spores and the tile on the floor has broken to pieces. It's affecting her health because the mold is coming through the vents and making her nose run and she doesn't have the energy she used to have. We have had several estimates for contractors who deal with this issue, but the cost is beyond hers and mine to handle. It was suggested that perhaps a pipe may have burst in the walls somewhere. If possible I would like to know where in Illinois I can get her some assistance with this problem without too much expense. Please contact me (her daughter) personal data removed ( FR Chuck)

    Last edited by Fr_Chuck; Mar 20, 2010 at 05:43 PM.
    Search this Question
    Share |
    5 Answers
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,748, Reputation: 2664

    Feb 20, 2010, 02:33 PM

    Shirley, not a good idea to leave personal telephone numbes on a worldwide net. Y ou may attract some unwanted attention from people you don't want to know.

    You should remove them. If anyone wants to notify you personally, they can use our PM feature in AMHD.

    I don't think there are any grants for seniors, but there are handymen, seniors themselves, who do odd jobs at reduced rates.

    Have you considered moving your mom out of that house and into a retirement residence where she will be safe from health hazards generated from mold in the walls.

    Helpful (1)
    plantst's Avatar
    plantst Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Mar 20, 2010, 05:36 PM

    It has a big back yard, incredible, concerned neighbors, located on a small street, near three very respected schools, churches with strong congregations, two blocks from the main fire department station, two blocks from the most renowned hospital in Central Georgia and in a great neighborhood, overall.
    However, here’s the serious and daunting problem which keeps me from moving forward with the plan to provide an emergency home for children when in need of a safe place to be, immediately, when tragedy occurs. The unlevel floors are not simply a condition of old houses, as I, originally, accepted. I learned, recently, that the main girder beam has deteriorated along with many of the piers. This has caused the floors to move below the baseboards, the corners of three rooms to separate, ceiling molding to crack and corners of built-in cabinets to show signs of movement, and allowing salamanders and vermin to find easy access into my home.
    As a 68 year old retiree, living on Social Security who one year, ago, refinanced the mortgage to get a lower rate, I have no resources to save my house from caving in and cannot sell it with this condition, even if the real estate was strong. This is a lovely old house with few very modern changes and is so perfect for an emergency shelter. Do you know where I can get help or a grant?
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 80,987, Reputation: 7671

    Mar 20, 2010, 05:46 PM

    Many cities and non profit groups in those city gets grants for repair of elderly low income. There are guidelines, some are free others are low interest loans for materials and labor provided.

    You will need to start with the city managers office, then with two or three of the major real estate brokers
    Next check with the cities ministial alliance, most GA cities have them, where all the major churches meet normally monthly.

    Then you should also check with the local welfare office along with any of the major chairities in your local area
    hotbutter's Avatar
    hotbutter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Oct 11, 2010, 05:38 AM
    My husband is 76 years old and was recently disabled because of a stroke. I am a homemaker who wants to go to work but need training. I am looking for grants that would pay for school. I am 57 and seeking to get training as a lactation counselor or doula. Where do I search for senior citizen grants?
    evanskimberly38's Avatar
    evanskimberly38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 12, 2011, 08:56 AM
    My mom is 67,68 years of age. She has black mold in bathroom, the eves on porch, heater,and more things need to be done to the house and she doesn't have the money to fix them. She is on social security. She is very low income and no one will help her. I don't have the funds to help her or I would. That's why Im asking is there anyone that can help my mom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grant for home repairs for senior citizens [ 6 Answers ]

Our home is in need of repairs and we do not have the money to fix it, are there any grants out there for seniors for home repairs?

Bankrupsy and senior citizens [ 4 Answers ]

My question to you is I have a personal friend ,who is a senior citizen and co signed on a car note. The car was repossessed after a short time,now the are taking her to court to pay 14,000 her only source of income is social security,she has no car no home,no assets She wants to file...

Can Senior citizens keep their home and vehicles when filing bankrupsey [ 3 Answers ]

Would Seniors property (home/vehicle) be exempt from being taken away on any type of court order bankrupsey / small claims, etc.

Grants for home repairs [ 2 Answers ]

I have a double-wide mobile home and in need of repairs. My fixed income does not enable me to contract services. I don't know what's wrong with the pump, but have just run out of water. Where can I get the help I need to fix the well? Thanks .

Senior Citizens: [ 6 Answers ]

This is a questionnaire for old people can you please fill it out? I am a student who is currently studying at University, I am doing a project on older people and have to design a new service, network or other solution that would benefit older people experiencing or vulnerable to loneliness...

View more questions Search