Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:41 PM
    Looking for a Graduate School Of Ed. For Ph.D.
    Have been a teacher for many years and am now getting into teaching Educ. Courses at the college level. I want to begin pursuing a doctorate (preferably Ph.D. Ed.D. fine too). Problem is I will be likely (although not certainly) moving in the next 1-2 years. Meaning I don't want to start a program only to have to drop out.

So I want to find a program with flexible residency requirements. BUT, I DO NOT want to go through one of the online universities such as U of Phoenix, etc. I have taken courses through them and just don't feel they are worth the money and effort a doctorate would take. That is, if I am going to put so much into it, I want a degree from a more professionally recognized institution.

Does anyone know of any schools where they have programs for non-resident students. Such as, meet once a month, plus online/other components. Where I got my masters (no doctorates), they had a similar program.

Thanks.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Typically PhD or EdD programs will require you to continue your program in class on campus. EdD and PhD programs typically are not as flexible as a Masters program. A doctorate requires mentorship and for the student to be in constant contact with professors. If you are moving on 1-2 years why not wait until you move and start your program then?
    jessechenven Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Thanks. I guess one of many issues for me is, 1) I don't know exactly WHEN I might be moving (my wife is finishing her degree next May, and we might move shortly thereafter or stay a few years depending on what she finds for jobs). And 2) Because of this I don't know WHERE exactly I might end up. (What if there are no programs where we move OR none that suit my needs/professional interests)

I do realize the intensity and structure of a doctoral program, and yet places like U of Phoenix offer completely (or almost completely) online degrees. I guess I am looking for something between. I know such things exist, because my boss is currently getting her's through Colorado State U. (but it is in Community College Leadership, not my thing). Every four weeks she travels up to Ft. Collins for the weekend and does the rest, online, via tele-conference, etc.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2007, 08:02 PM
    It may seem sort of obvious but maybe just research what universities and colleges offer the degrees that you are interested and give their admissions office a call and inquire about how their program is structured. I know that nowadays the majority of Masters program are split between classroom and online which is great. For some reason I think (I'm not 100% I've been out of Graduate Admissions for a while now) that Doctoral programs are sort stuck in the idea of that PhD programs could not possibly be conducted in such a fashion.

However - some of the programs may only require a certain amount of credits in classroom then the rest consisting of your doctorate which you can write anywhere as long as you have a relationship with your professor. Definitely start researching and see what you can find out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it possible to miss 2 semester a school and still graduate? [ 4 Answers ]

I attended a two year college and I took a semester off due to financial problems and it's possible I might need to take another semester off. I still looking for work and I'm not sure if my parents will pay for my tuition, thanks in advance.

Son didn't graduate high school what to do? [ 7 Answers ]

:( Hello my son dropped out of school at the end of his senior year. He thought he was doing the right thing We live in Ky. He got a job in Fl. Making 25 an hour. This is good for a 18 year old boy so he thought. The company got in trouble now he has no job or diploma. He now has no job. This...

View more questions Search