Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 1, 2006, 08:52 AM
    Caribbean Pirate Movie without Cofresi?
    I was recently seeing a preview of the movie Pirates of the Caribean and couldn't help but notice the glaring omission of the famous Puerto Rican Pirate Cofresi who was wreaking havoc wth shipping in that area. In fact, other nations protested to Spain asking the government to stop him. He was said to steal from the rich and give to the poor and his death was lamented by the common people. Anyone know te reason why this pirate was purposefully left out of the film?

BTW
    The question isn't who cares or who doesn't.
    Please try to keep the subject on track by not giving irrelevant answers.
    This is after all a question and answer forum.
    Discussions are over at the Member Discussion forum provided for that purpose.

Roberto Cofresí -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirata_Cofresi

Roberto Cofresí
    Pirate of the Caribbean

Excerpt:

History and legends tell us about the many heroes and villains of the time. One of the great pirates of those times, who defended the poor, was a man named Roberto Cofresí Ramirez de Arellano. Born in the coastal town of Cabo Rojo, as an adolescent he set out to change Spain's political policies towards his island of "BORINQUEN". Him and his crew of 15 Puerto Rican men, aboard the Schooner Ana, were soon to write a page in the history of the Caribbean.

http://www.solboricua.com/pirata/Cofresi.htm
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 1, 2006, 09:44 AM
    I think this Link should cover your question.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 1, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Fictional movies based for action and high sales have little to do with truth in history, many at best merely rub the truth, others ignore and some evern change it to fit their movie plot.

Examples of this would be the 'gun fight at the OK corral", "the davinci code" and the such
    Cassie Posts: 150, Reputation: 46

Jul 1, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Which adds nothing of value via not answering the question.
    I suggest you become familiar with the purpose of this site before posting.
    Can one not handle a little humor in your life?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 1, 2006, 10:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Fictional movies based for action and high sales have little to do with truth in history, many at best merely rub the truth, others ignore and some evern change it to fit thier movie plot.

Examples of this would be the 'gun fight at the OK corral", "the davinci code" and the such

The problem is that the advertisement as seen on Comcast Cable shows the people involved in its production saying everything in the film has been historically researched to assure accuracy. In fact, a short historical biography was given of each pirate they chose. One being a woman pirate who dressed as a man.

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben
    I think this Link should cover your question.
    My question isn't caused by lack of knowledge in relation to what constitutes a good screen-play-short story, or novel. In fact, I have two novels about to be published myself and numerous short stories. My question is based on an observation of omission. Since this pirate was considered the Robin Hood that area, fought ships of many countries, why the choice to exclude him while using his home island as a base to make the film?

educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jul 2, 2006, 04:56 PM
    MAybe they felt they couldn't do him justice in a two hour movie
    Jonegy Posts: 166, Reputation: 37

Jul 3, 2006, 05:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeeding_2005
    MAybe they felt they couldn't do him justice in a two hour movie
    Yep!! Short, Sweet & to the point!

That'll do for me ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Very Very Vague Description of 80's Children Movie... Need movie title [ 8 Answers ]

Ok there's probably no hope here but I'll try anyway... There is a movie I watched when I was very young and would like to get a hold of it. It was in the mid 80's when I watched it but the movie could have been made in the 70's sometime. Pretty much the only part I can remember is these...

Movie Title Help? 80's Movie? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All. I need help with the title of a movie I remember from when I was younger. I think the movie was made in the 80's, but possibly early 90's. The main character was a man who came back to earth to help the son of a woman who he loved. She is now married and has a son in High School. I...

Movie? [ 2 Answers ]

OK this is annoying because I don't know if this is something I watched or dreamt! I think it was a film or series or something. An animated programme I think from the 80's all I can remember is a load of people in space on a weird planet and a boy being attacked by huge wasp type things which...

Heard this song in the Caribbean last week (help!) [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I was on the island of St. Martin in the Caribbean last week (no hurricane though). Heard this great dance song (male vocal) with a line in the chorus that stuck in my mind: "There must have been a day when I could have loved you more..." Can anyone help? Please email me directly...

View more questions Search