Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    Diggers's Avatar
    Diggers Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jul 16, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Change of Surname
    On the census's my gg grandfather is recorded to have been born in Wiltshire but I can find no record of him but my grandad has always been told that there was a change of surname around the time his grandpa was born. The family is from Ireland we believe but as I don't know the original name I've come to a halt. Does anyone have any idea how I could find this out?
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,801, Reputation: 2674

    Jul 16, 2009, 12:19 PM

    If the surname was changed upon landing in America after the potato famine in ireland, I can understand how the name change happened. It happened here when settlers arrived and the census was taken. Names got spelled wrong because some settlers were illiterate and couldn't spell, therefore, when they said their name was Smith, a census taker would spell it Smyth, etc. therefore, leaving it indelibly impressed as 'Smyth' in Ontario records.Geneology records are very hard to trace going back l50 years or so to the old country (Britian, Ireland, Scotland) because there so many immigrants coming across for various reasons, some of them royalists, etc.

    I am assuming this happened in your circumstance. You will have to got back to Wiltshire records and sift through all surnames until you find some that are first names attached to them that are familiar to your family records, and then track down.

    I am sure you will succeed. This is why genealogy is such an interesting hobby, what turns up during searches is utterly amazing.

    If you don't understand what I mean, I am sure you will ask, but main thing is, you know were the birth records start and that is sometihing a lot of people don't have.

    Kindest regards


Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do we change my daughters surname? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, my daughter is 2 and a half years old I was with her father (grant) until she was 4 months old but not married, he doesn't see her and now I am happy with another man and have been for a while. But grant is on my daughters birth certificate and she has grants surname, how do I change her...

My daughter wants to change her surname. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 8 and wants to change her surname, does she have to get permission from her father, From jane

Child's Surname Change. [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter would like to change my grandson's surname to be the same as her her surname instead of the father's surname (they were never married). The father's surname is not on the birth certificate, so how can this be done without involving him?

Change of surname of my child [ 6 Answers ]

I have a daughter and I didn't married her father. But I had my baby's surname after her father's. Now. Her father and I broke up because our relationship isn't really working. I would just like to ask the process of what do I need to do to change my baby's name after mine. What are the laws and...

View more questions Search