Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stellar4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2005, 10:15 PM
    Maple tree root system
    I have an old maple tree which has several rather large roots above ground. This tree is also mounding up and is now approximately 10 inches above ground level. I was hoping to build a short planter around the tree to give the illusion that the ground was level. To complicate things, my yard is at a slight slope so I would have to level the ground in order to make this planter. Would I damage the tree by cutting off the roots sticking out of the ground or by cutting into them to level the ground?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

May 22, 2005, 07:04 AM
    A tree can stand to lose some of its roots. To lessen the shock, you might do part this year, and then wait until next year to finish. Cutting the whole root off and removing it will be difficult and do more damage. I often use a sharpened pick ax, and only cut the root down level with the ground.

Removing some of the top growth will help with the loss of roots. If any of it is crowding the house, that would be a good place to start, or low hanging limbs making it hard to walk under. Avoid the flat cuts like conventional tree topping. They lead to unsound sucker growth in addition to being ugly. Instead make slanting cuts just before a major branch. New growth will go into the branch, not suckers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree root system [ 13 Answers ]

I have a large maple tree in my backyard right behind my house. Whoever planted it there must not have been thinking because it is very close to the house. The branches extend out over my roof at least 10 feet. I need to know if this tree is going to cause some problems to my basement wall or...

Red maple tree root sytems [ 1 Answers ]

?? My husband and I are planting trees around our home. We can't seem to find anyone with answers on how the root systems go for RED MAPLE TREES. Do they spread to the side or do they grow deep and out at the same time? We are trying to determine where to plant these. If you have any...

Red Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

I have a red maple tree and something is eating the leaves. I need help to find out how to stop the pest and what to use to stop them

Tree Root Question [ 4 Answers ]

A couple of months ago, I posted a plumbing problem where the basement drain was backing up. The plumber came out and said it was the kitchen line that was clogged and cleared it and that seemed to do the trick. This past week, it happened again after heavy rains with much more damage to my...

Tap root for maple tree [ 2 Answers ]

In my front yard I have a 30-35 foot norwegian (?) maple Tree it is planted close to my incoming water pipe As well our outgoing sewer pipe. The sewer pipe looks as though it is 3-4 feet below ground and the water pipe is 2 feet deeper . The tree trunk is 1-2 feet from the outside ...

View more questions Search