Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckrabernathy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 05:00 PM
    Why is my maple tree dying?
    I noticed last year that one of our mature maples has branches that are dying.
    It has been a healthy tree.
    We had some river rocks that had been dumped at the base and sat there for about 2
    Years. Could this be the problem and can I do anything to reverse the damage?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Please see the following link:

Maple Tree Decline

The rocks might not be the problem. But, I would start by removing them and then see what happens.

Have any of the leaves taken on a different color? This can be a sign of disease.

What kind of Maple tree is it?

Please see the following link:

Maple Tree Identification
    hwy61 Posts: 19, Reputation: 5

Apr 2, 2007, 11:05 PM
    A few dead branches can be normal. A pile of rocks could cause a problem but it would have to be a large pile that effectively cut off oxygen and water. As a rock pile is generally faily porous allowing plenty of air and water to penetrate it would be unlikely to damage a tree very much. Unless there is a solid pile of them. Remove them, make sure the tree does not go through stress during any hot, dry times. Maples are fairly shallow rooted and have plenty of leaves to transpire water to the atmosphere. Water and fertilize it. I'm assuming no one has trenched through the root zone and no excavation or soil fill has been placed around it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Red Maple Tree [ 3 Answers ]

I have a red maple tree and something is eating the leaves. I need help to find out how to stop the pest and what to use to stop them

Maple tree dying? [ 2 Answers ]

I planted a maple in December and this spring it began to bloom. The top 6 inches on 5 separate branches of the tree are dead. The leafs on the very low branches are small and the leafs at the top near the dead part of the tree are 3 times the size of the leafs on the lower branches. Can you tell...

Maple Tree ? [ 3 Answers ]

There is a red and a yellow maple tree? They are green all summer. The red one has bright red leaves in the fall and the yellow one is bright yellow in the fall. In the spring they have buds all over the tree the red is bright red buds and the yellow is bright yellow buds! I don't know the correct...

Maple tree [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am removing maple tree and I want to plant Dogwood close to that area. How can I remove maple tree roots to plant Dogwood? Thank you Paul

View more questions Search