Craftman 15.5 ohv and clutch attachment won't disengage
    My craftman 15.5 ohv clutch attachment won't disengage
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2011, 06:41 PM

What model tractor is it?
    rchizz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2011, 07:22 PM

I have a Craftsman 15.5HP OHV with a Briggs & Stratton IC Platinum Turbo Cool engine. Model# 28N707. Its an older model. I was cutting my lawn the other day and it stopped on me. I came to find that I was out of gas. I added gas however it would not start. It doesn't turn over nothing totally dead. NO head lights. I checked the battery and it tested OK I also tried to jump it with my suv and again nothing.
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Mar 27, 2011, 07:17 AM

Typically when this happens either the deck height lever or the deck engaging lever are still in the cutting position.
    rchizz Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2011, 12:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jsfocke View Post
    Typically when this happens either the deck height lever or the deck engaging lever are still in the cutting position.
    Understood. Do you have any ideas on how I might be able to remove the lever from the cutting position?

Apr 3, 2011, 04:23 PM

I don't know what to tell you. If the deck engaging lever will not disengage then I would go to the deck and unhook the blade engaging cable/linkage to see if it is in a bind there or in the handle area. The safety switch should be under the dash just below the handle.

You might also check the fuse. It should be just behind the engine on the side with the oil dipstick.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 3, 2011, 06:27 PM

DG asked about the tractor and you told him about the engine. What model Sears do you have, numbers are under the seat and look like model 917.252681, or similar. If it stopped while cutting this could be a failed saefty switch, you have several depending on model. Most Sears have one under the seat, one on the clucth/brake peddle and one for the deck. If you tell us the tractor number we can help get you the diagram of the switch locations. I think possibly jsfocke missed the fact you were cutting when it died, so yes you were engaged.

Apr 3, 2011, 11:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I think possible jsfocke missed the fact you were cutting when it died, so yes you were engaged.
    I realized that. In fact I told him about the two common deck levers that are left in the cut position and cause this problem.

He said:

Quote Originally Posted by rchizz
    Understood. Do you have any ideas on how i might be able to remove the lever from the cutting position?
    So that's why I asnwered how I did.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 4, 2011, 07:46 AM

I just reread the post and realize I missed the fact he ran out of gas. You are correct but I thought he was asking the wrong question.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2011, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    what model tractor is it?
    What model tractor is it ?
    crfrider Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2012, 10:29 AM
    I have a craftsman 15,5 hp ovh brigs&stratton 1/c gold model 28n707. It runs but when I put in gear and give it gas it doesn't move but the bar that ingages the brake bent so I need a new one but I have no clue what it is called

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sears Lawn Tractor Attachment Clutch Lever [ 3 Answers ]

Have a Craftsman riding mower model 917.256530. Won't start - due to following I think. Attachment clutch lever which engages and disengages blades is stuck about half way between engaged and disengaged position. I can move it up to the engaged position. I can not move it down to the disengaged...

Replacing the ground drive belt on a craftman lawn mower & hooking the clutch wire up [ 1 Answers ]

48" CUT Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower. Got belt installed but having trouble knowing how to connect the clutch wire. Any way looks like it will get caught up in the belt when on. Please help...

Engaging the Attachment Clutch on my Craftsman Mower kills the engine! [ 4 Answers ]

I just got a brand new Craftsman lawn tractor, delivered this morning, already assembled even. I read the manual, more than once, filled the gas, checked the oil, checked the tire pressure, did everything I was directed to do. Started up fine and I let it warm up. But whenever I try to engage...

16.5 OHV Briggs on Craftman Riding Mower [ 4 Answers ]

As mentioned, I have a craftman mower with 16.5 OHV B&S. Its only about 5/6yrs of age, good shape. It does start up, but runs rough, backfires and blows quite a bit of white exhaust. Blows much more white exhaust at lower idle before stalling out. I have cleaned carb, changed plug, fuel filter and...

View more questions Search