Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    karatek5kenyon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 02:33 AM
    When can I dig up hedge to replant thanks, mark
    Hi when can I dig up my hedge and replant it thanks, mark.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 02:39 AM

Mark, what kind of hedge do you have ? Some can't be replanted.

Tick
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 02:44 AM
    Can depend on where you live and what zone you are in and what you have... but moving a hedge in april/may is often a safe bet generally speaking...

Threat of frost/freezing is over... the ground is more workable... you can mend the soil easier if needed... etc...
    karatek5kenyon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2010, 02:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    mark, what kind of hedge do you have ? Some can't be replanted.

tick
    Hi I don't know just the normal hedge you see in gardens devieding you from next door.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 8, 2010, 04:37 AM

There are a few different species of hedges karate used to divide properties. The most popular is cedar. Cedar can be dug up quite easily, very shallow root ball and can be moved without any problem, any time during the summer I have found.

If you are not sure, take a sprig to a garden center to identify and advice. They don't charge for advice on gardening.

Tick
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Its great advive from tickle... to take a sprig to a good local nursery... not a big box hardware store... to have it checked.

If its going to be moved no matter what, live or die, there's a few things you can do to help ensure the best chance possible.

Moving in the spring is often best because temps are moderate and soil is often retaining water from meltoff and/or spring showers. If the plant is thriving where it is, its probably getting the right amount of sun and natural water... moving to a similar location is the best plan. If you move something to a location that gets a lot less sun, for ex, you might see a failure to thrive. Same with watering... too dry or too wet, compared to where its thrived, will stress it.

You don't say how old it is or how big it is. Trimming back big plants can help in a few ways. It makes a big plant, uh, less big... meaning smaller... meaning lighter or less bulky. Cutting it back some also reduces the demand on nutrients up top, and can help the plant channel energy to expanding the root system. I wouldn't cut back much more than a third off... you may not need to cut back, but I would for the mentioned reasons, if I have no other directions specific to my plant and if it's a bigger plant.

Also, you want to take as much of the root system as possible. This often means digging wider and much deeper than you might care to do. Keeping as much of the root system in place and still in its soil (dont shake off the soil) again will help give the best chance for a successful transplant. This might mean a much bigger move than you first expect.

And prep the hole its going into well. Dig bigger and deeper. Mend the soil if needed with compost or peat mixed in with the soil. Watering the open hole before the plant goes in can be good. Watering after is usually important... with a slow trickle good for deep watering.

k. just some more things to keep in mind if you get no more info about your specific hedge. I've done all the above and had good success. I've also done all the above and had a mature, established, thriving plant not make it one year in its new spot. It happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I HAVE to Dig and Bypass my Grease Trap? [ 4 Answers ]

Our brick ranch house in the Denver area was built in 1952, and until recently we never knew it had a grease trap. The kitchen sink started running slow and our drain cleaning guy said the grease trap was near full and the best thing to do would be to locate it, (probably just outside the house in...

New toilet in old concrete slab - how deep do I dig? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm moving a toilet about 3 feet in my basement bathroom. I've jackhammered a trench about a shovel-width, but I wonder how much material (dirt) I have to remove to get it ready for the plumber. Help!

Stop me before I dig to China in search of. [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know how deep on average a residential sewer pipe is, because I believe that mine is ceramic and I don't want to further any damage in attempt to repair. :eek:

Dig Cam Downloading Error [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I am new to this site... and I need help! (PLEASE) Here is my issue: I attempted to download images from my dig cam the other day... the PC no longer recongises it. Driver has disappeared. Tried to install it from the Sony cd rom given to me with the cam. Does it, but PC still doesn't...

View more questions Search