Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 6, 2009, 11:38 AM
    CB's Serious Project
    Well we've moved into a new house an have an allotment plot at the end of the garden.
    These are situated on the other side of our row of houses "service road" well more of a track really.
    The plot is about 40' by 89' and has been left to grow wild.

At present it is mostly bramble up to about 7' feet high in place.
    I have found an old tree stump, but what else if buried is anyone's idea.

So my mission, should I chose to accept it, it to clear the plot and grow veggies.

We already have a lawned area for the kids to play on so this will be a working allotment.

I have also included a picture of our neighbours plot to see what has been done else where.

So I'm open to advice on the best way to clear all of this and also to keep track of my progress.
    I was thinking of hiring one of those petrol brush clearers, but either way I'm looking at some serious sweat..

Name:  P1010183.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  175.8 KB

Name:  P1010185.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  P1010187.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  178.1 KB

Name:  P1010189.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  168.4 KB

Nextdoor neighbours plot:

Name:  P1010191.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  157.4 KB
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 12:56 PM

Here's my advice in a nutshell - move back to your old place.

(Or hold the AMHD 2009 reunion at your house and tell us to all bring electric garden tools.)
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 6, 2009, 01:00 PM

Holy-crap-on-a-stick. Wow. That is a lot of weeds. I wouldn't even know where to begin to clear all of that. It looks like someone had bushes and ornamental grasses that were allowed to go wild for the last 5-6 years. I would suggest hiring someone to clear it. Someone with some serious power tools.
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 01:05 PM

I wonder if you spray it first would it help.you'll also need a skip to haul it all away..

There is always the option of a mini digger that you could hire,and work yourself.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Sep 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Here's my advice in a nutshell - move back to your old place.

(Or hold the AMHD 2009 reunion at your house and tell us to all bring electric garden tools.)
    Two very good, and viable options.
    eddie sez he'll fly me over the pond, but I'll have to 'chute my way down...Geronimoooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    holy-crap-on-a-stick.
    It's been a while since I've heard that term... Very apropo.
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    wow. that is a lot of weeds. i wouldn't even know where to begin to clear all of that. it looks like someone had bushes and ornamental grasses that were allowed to go wild for the last 5-6 years. i would suggest hiring someone to clear it. someone with some serious power tools.
    Another very good suggestion, but lets look at a different angle to "serious power tools"

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    So I'm open to advice on the best way to clear all of this and also to keep track of my progress.
    I was thinking of hiring one of those petrol brush clearers, but either way I'm looking at some serious sweat..
    So, your thinking of playing with fire, eh?
    Have you considered:
    • Personal injury to yourself, others?
    • What does the neighbor think?
    • Is that the top of his Greenhouse I see in the fourth pix?
    • 5-6years is a fair estimate, there will be a lot of
      deadwood in the undergrowth, what if?
      The fire gets out of control, and attacks his greenhouse, and
      what looks like his storage area in the background?
    • The dirt a "green" fire produces?
    • You'll probably still need to rent a skip/dumpster.
    • Have a chainsaw?
    • Fire extinguishers?
    • Who knows what's in there, you could end up being the
      proud owner of an abandon car or some used appliances.
      Can you talk to the neighbor, to find out how the lot was used?
    • What's that lying in the foreground of pix 4?
    • Will you be on holiday/vacation when you plan to do this?
      If not, then plan on at least a three weekends to finish.
    • The burning laws in your locality
    • If you can burn, do you need a permit?
    • Do you need to notify the local fire Dept.?
      They may need to be on site, on the service road on standby.
    • A contribution to the Fire Co. The tip isn't included in the permit fees.

Since your in the mode to hire/rent something, redhead35's suggestion to hire a small loader/bobcat, and to have a skip on hand to clear the area is excellent!
    Here the general practice to clearing land is to bring in a Track Loader, and truck it out to a landfill.
    I've included pix to show what it costs to rent Loaders/backhoes, and bobcats here in the States.

I would go with the backhoe, in case you need to dig stumps out. You could probably get away with the first one. (the 20horse, with 8' 1'' reach)
    The rental place should be able to deliver, and pick-up, and the delivery driver can give you the lesson on operation. Skip rental here runs $300 for a small one, 'bout 24cu. Yds. Don't forget these prices may be higher or lower for you.

After you check all these prices follow hheath's suggestion, 'bout hiring someone, you may be surprised, If the difference is within a couple hundred, I'd have him do it.

"keeping track" is a good idea, you may need it for insurance purposes. :rolleyes: God forbid!
    Do You have a video recorder, and tripod? Set it up on your main property, and aim it towards the work area, set it on SLP an let it run. You may or may not have sound, and you'll have to keep track of the running time.
    If you hire the service to do it for you. You could still do that, and have DW change the tapes until you get home from work...

Hi! Curlyben'swife :) ::hand wave::hand wave::
    As for me, I've already created folders for this thread in picasa and open office.

Yes, it will be a lot more expensive, and you will still be "looking at some serious sweat", but you, your wife, and children will reap the benefits.

K
    Attached Images

firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 11:28 PM
    Wow!!
    Good luck with the clearing Ben!
    I can imagine the before and after pics for this one.

Your neighbors plot doesn't look like they used the available space well.
    Maybe you can plan your garden better with more variety.

I love the layouts in this link, they even have a kiddy layout.
    http://www.squidoo.com/VegetableGard...module44589112

I think CBW would love this one though :)
    http://www.countryliving.com/cm/coun...e-26486100.jpg
    BossMan

Sep 7, 2009, 12:05 AM
    Thanks for that Kuxj, so great ideas.

There's some confusion on the Brush clearer, I'm not thinking about burning it all out, as that's waaaaayy too fool hardy even for me.

What I meant was one of these:

Then I can really get personal with the brambles ;)

I didn't think about hiring someone to clear it, but I'll have a search around and see what I can find.

FB, I thinking of load raised beds built from railway sleepers, very much like you second link.
    I'm sharing this plot with our other neighbour, as it's basically a double sized one as it's on the end of the row. So I want to make it was simple as possible to use, as I don't like all the back breaking bending ;)
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2009, 12:43 AM
    Don't want to bend Ben? How about a hanging garden with raised beds?:)
    http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uima...6_garden01.jpg

K,
    Is drip irrigation the best way to water veggies? It looks like less work too.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 7, 2009, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Thanks for that Kuxj, so great ideas.

There's some confusion on the Brush clearer, I'm not thinking about burning it all out, as that's waaaaayy too fool hardy even for me.

What I meant was one of these:

Then I can really get personal with the brambles ;)

I didn't think about hiring someone to clear it, but I'll have a search around and see what I can find.

FB, I thinking of load raised beds built from railway sleepers, very much like you second link.
    I'm sharing this plot with our other neighbour, as it's basically a double sized one as it's on the end of the row. So I want to make it was simple as possible to use, as I don't like all the back breaking bending ;)
    Aww hel! No!! That's for weeds, what you have here is a forest!! How about a bush hog!!

Sep 7, 2009, 11:12 AM
    My apologies, Ben. I saw petrol, and went off on a tangent. I had this vision of you going in there “Terminator” style, and burning everything to the ground.
    What's that eddie?....Yes it would be quicker, but don't you worry 'bout it....You just keep makin' those little parachutes I need.

Now where was I?. Oh yea, I can see you using every blade shown, so you might want to consider hiring two, with different blades mounted on them.
    That way, if you run into something thicker, It's just a matter of swapin' one out for the other. Will the “other neighbor” your sharin' with, be helpin' you? If so, then he could use the other one.
    Have you ever used one? It doesn't show in your image, but a shoulder strap is a nice accessory.

You'll also need, shovels (square, and round point), rakes (soft, and hard tines), and pitchforks. It's amazing what a fork can pick up compared to a shovel.
    A diggin' iron would be useful for leverage. If you can get a chainsaw, get it.

Another idea, can you hire one of these

They'll go through 3” saplings or the tow behind

'bout hiring a skip, usually the further out one is from the general population, the less people worry 'bout burning, even if the Township has burning laws. Some see fire or smoke, and automatically call dispatch.
    When I burn, I always make sure I have barrels of water, and 5gal. Buckets nearby with my water-hose there to replenish. Plus shovels, rakes, and the pitchfork. Your hose should stand up to some driving-over, where it crosses the service road, If in doubt lay a sheet of plywood over it (parallel to).

My local fire co. still likes to be notified, in case a worried neighbor does call, and they have to show up, and check it out.
    The chief walked up to me and asked “whatcha' burning”?
    Just by Providence, I had put some foil-wrapped potatoes, and corn near the edge of the fire to cook, and I said “taters an corn, you guys want some”?

He said,
    “oh, so your havin' a bar-b-que”?
    I said
    “yes”,
    He said
    “Naw, we have some back at the station, but next time call us first! Okay”?
    All this, while my fire was shooting 20-30' flames.

The next time, it was just the chief. He still has to check, but he knew my set-up, and didn't have to send a unit out.
    We shot the breeze had taters with butter, and he left with a :) on his face.

For FB,
    Drip irrigation (DI) design seems to have two camps. One advocates that drip is very simple and easy to design and install. The second takes a more technical and practical approach, indicating that a certain level of expertise is required to design a properly functioning system.

I've always felt the drip is the way to go, and still do, but lately there have been concerns 'bout replenishing the local aquifers, and what I get out of it is, the concern is aimed at large scale operations, and not the little guy.

Good 'ol wiki
    Drip irrigation - Wikipedia
    Near the bottom it has Advantages-disadvantages

Wiki external links “Efficient” Irrigation Tool May Deplete More Water”:
    Agricultural and Biofuel News:

Technical report on the effect of DI on aquifers. Nov. 2008
    Proceedings of the National Academies of Science. It's a little on the dry side. (No pun intended)
    Water conservation in irrigation can increase water use ? PNAS.

Notice USGS doesn't list any dis-advantages. May 2009
    Pictures: Drip irrigation

Here's one example of a “home made” PVC system:
    http://extension.usu.edu/juab/files/...from%20USU.pdf

Drip Irrigation System Design Guidelines

K
    BossMan

Sep 7, 2009, 11:26 AM
    I was seriously considering the green option.
    Rather than simply dumping the cut brambles, I was going to chip/shred it and either compost it or use it as the base for the raised beds. After all it is all very green material and should make for good mulch.

Something along these lines should do the trick:

But knowing my luck I'll end up needed one of these instead:

I was thinking along the lines of Railway sleeper raised beds.
    Something like this:

My neighbour, who shares this plot is an older lady that looks after her 80+ year old mother, so it was intended as a nice gesture that we could both enjoy.

Sep 7, 2009, 01:39 PM
    That first one's a good choice, just point it in the direction you want the pile, and let the chips fall where they may. (pun intended)

You might still want to leave a deposit on the tri-axle... :p

Are you going to use the soil that's already there or are you going to have a starter load trucked in?
    BossMan

Sep 7, 2009, 02:00 PM
    I was thinking of "acquiring" a load of top soil and probably mixing it with compost, but we'll see.
    Better learn to walk before I can run ;)

Sep 7, 2009, 02:31 PM
    You probably already know, it is better to layer your compost, than to have one thick mass.

Sep 8, 2009, 01:35 PM
    Ben

Got to looking around, and came up with...
    This shows a flailer
    Flail Mower --- Speedy Hire

I think you've been here
    HSS Hire › Keeping Businesses Working

Here's two that offer Scythe's. They also offer chipper's
    0520 Scythe Petrol
    http://www.toolhirelondon.co.uk/imag.../Gardening.pdf
    Same Scythe Petrol different site
    Brandon Hire All Landscaping And Gardening Equipment Hire

But if you call this fellow he might be able to steer you to a hire shop that has those DR field and brush cutters.
    He's one of the International Dealers for DR DR® Field & Brush Mowers

Rochford Garden Machinery Ltd.
    Wincanton Business Park
    Wincanton
    Somerset, BA99RS England
    Telephone: 011 441 963 8280000
    Fax: 011441963828001
    [email protected]
    BossMan

Sep 8, 2009, 01:53 PM
    I'm liking the idea, but as I'm not aware of what is actually under all the bramble growth I think I'm best off starting with the Brush cutter.

Once the bulk is out of the way then these beasts will work wonders..

Sep 9, 2009, 10:31 AM
    but as I'm not aware of what is actually under all the bramble growth
    In lieu of some type of imagery device. Do you have Google earth?
    I was looking at West Kingsdown, and could plainly see cars in their driveways.

The image date was from 2001. Granted a little old, but it might tell you something.
    BossMan

Sep 9, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Good thinking there Batman, but, as I'm in a small(ish) village we don't warrant hi-res pictures. Can't zoom in enough to be of any real use :(
    zippit Posts: 693, Reputation: 117
    -

Sep 9, 2009, 11:17 AM

I have to say I'm a big fan of roundup don't get the kind that comes with a sprayer its not as good and the sprayer is crap I could buy a round up concentrate and hand sprayer just the bottle keep it simple and spray a couple days later another coat after a few weeks you have nothing but sticks to cut and gather I live one a acre and it looks like your pics on two sides and I fight it back by using the round-up a bottle of concentrate is around 45$ it will not affect the soil just spray the leaves of the brush you have..
    BossMan

Sep 9, 2009, 11:21 AM
    I didn't really want to resort to chemical warfare on this as I'm going to make us of the bramble heap ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single Pole or Double Pole CB's at main using 12/3? [ 5 Answers ]

House is in CA, built in 1974 using the MWBC setup. From Main: 1) Has four single pole circuit breakers. 2) Four Hot running into house. 3) Two Neutral running into house. A) Circuit #2 handles part of Kitchen as well as bedrooms 1 and 2:

VB Project [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a project that I have to do with vb Write a 5-6 question quiz with each question true or false. You may place the questions in text boxes or labels, and may use the visible property to display one box at a time if you wish. Decide how you want the user to input the answer (your choice,...

View more questions Search