Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mfatlanta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2009, 06:38 PM
    Company cut salary wage to straight commission
    What are the rules around a company changing the pay of an employee from $80K base plus commission to straight commission? The employee was given less than 2 weeks notice and simply cannot live off the commission structure (it isn't that rich of a commission). I was a $55K pay cut practically overnight. The employee is in Atlanta but I'm not sure where the company is HQ. What actions can the employee take to protect herself besides looking for another position? She said she has asked for a draw against commission but even that idea was denied. All of the Sales Reps were give the same news from what I understand - or from what she was told.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 6, 2009, 06:53 PM

They can say thank you for still having a job and start sending out resumes.

Unless there is a contract of employment the company may change your pay and benefits anytime they want.

They are allowed to do this,
    Cleaningman23 Posts: 255, Reputation: 5

Jul 7, 2009, 08:37 PM

I seen this happening on the news recently...
    Not sure but I think it involves saving the company money...
    Something with severance
    SafeHeart Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 09:40 PM

If there was an employment contract, take it to a lawyer and get advice about this. If you are in an "At Will" state, look for another job. Otherwise, check out the state laws regarding employment.
    TeamLeader Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Oct 7, 2009, 06:03 PM
    If you have a non-compete agreement, THIS is the time to walk away. Your non-compete evaporated when your pay did. Show your company that they should have taken care of you by going to the competition and taking all of your customers with you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Straight Salary [ 2 Answers ]

I am on straight Salary... which I thought meant even if you work less than or more than you would still receive the same pay. Other workers take off all the time for personnal or sick days and still get the same pay. I was not told when hired that if I took a personnal day that it would be taken...

Company changing commission rules [ 2 Answers ]

My wife works for a company that created a new base-plus-commission customer service position. She is the first person to hold the job. Her commission plan is very vague and broad. She has been paid on numerous (small) jobs. Now she has worked on a BIG job, and the company wants to change the rules...

Going from an hourly rate to straight salary [ 2 Answers ]

My company is offering me a straight salary instead of an hourly rate. How can I determine if I'll be better off by taking a straight salary?

Salary vs commission advantages [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am negotiating with a new company for a sales position. From a tax standpoint is it better to be paid salary or commission. If I get an expense account can I deduct those expenses on my income tax. I would prefer a compensation plan that reduces my income tax liability. Thank you, ...

View more questions Search