Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    daehnolem Posts: 61, Reputation: 12

Dec 1, 2005, 10:50 PM
    Some kind of anxiety in my lab?
    My husband and I just moved to a new place, and our 7 month old lab has started acting a little strangely. She doesn't really act this way when I'm home, but my husband tells me that when I leave she'll run around the house, then go into the room he's in, whine, and back out of the room. And apparently she kept it up for awhile. Also, when we put her in her kennel to go to bed last night, she cried. She stopped at some point, I guess when she figured we weren't going to let her out, but she kept that up for a bit, too. Could she be nervous because this is a new place? What can we do to help her relax, if anything?

Also, how can we get our dog to stop licking us?

Thanks very much,
    Rebekah
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2005, 06:56 AM
    I am sure you are right about the moving upsetting her. Dogs love the familiar. You may also have a longer commute and be gone longer. Moving is stressful to people too. Even if this was a long looked forward to move, on top of the holiday season, so much to do, details of the new place, she knows you are stressed, and anything stressing you, is bad. On top of all that, she could be going through a fear stage as dogs do.

What to do? Try to relax, spending more time with her. Brushing her may be good for both of you and leave less black hair all over your new house. Give her walks around the new neighborhood so it is more familiar to her. Maybe even good tasks for your husband. It is common for dogs to be much more closely bonded to one family member. Taking over the feeding would require very little of him, but help the relationship with most dogs, especially a Lab.

To settle her into the crate for the night, try my lay done in front of the crate trick. At bed time, with a new puppy, I have found lying down in front
    Of the crate like you were going to sleep and speaking softly to it, or
    Singing, until it settles down and goes to sleep works very well. Follow the
    Pattern, a period of active play, outside to eliminate, and then into the
    Crate. I discovered it about 10 puppies ago, and it has worked very well. I am not sure a 7 month old will settle down as quickly. Be carefully what you leave in the crate with her. Other than Nylabones, Kongs, etc. even if she hasn't been a problem chewer, she could decide to shred something to punish you for the move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Any recommendations for anxiety/depression? [ 18 Answers ]

I'd like to find some recommendations for anxiety, depression and sleeplessness. I have a close friend who is currently suffering from this and would like to get off conventional meds. Any info would help... Thanks.

Anxiety (G.A.D), who is familiar with this. [ 4 Answers ]

25/f. So I've had 'anxiety' for about over 7 Years now. I've been off and on different medications. But over the past 3-4yrs I'm only on Klonopine and I'm just 'winging' myself off it. I'd rather not be on any medications. The severity of my anxiety is what bothers me. Because of the anxiety and/or...

Anxiety Panic [ 4 Answers ]

As many people have said that their symptoms are not voluntary actions and are not intentional but their impulsive. When people are not aware of the panic or anxiety attacks a person has what then should the person who has the disorder do if the other person isn't aware of their disorder?...

Anxiety [ 2 Answers ]

Here I am at home again. I was invited to visit with a co-worker this weekend. I really want to go. I enjoy her company and we get along well at work. I didn't call. This happens all the time with me. There are so many things that I enjoy, people, church, friends, family, picnics, etc. At work, I...

View more questions Search